Nerves are getting the best of me!

LindyLin
on 5/24/18 7:14 pm

I am waiting for my insurance approval after 6 months of a supervised diet. Last night, I had an insane nightmare. Basically it was just me on the day of surgery, scared to death. I wanted to call it off but no one would listen to me and the docs were prepping the operating room while I sat there screaming with no response.

Ummmm do I not want to do this?? Or just a subconscious case of the nerves? This is such a gigantic decision... very scary stuff.

catwoman7
on 5/24/18 9:35 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I think it's just nerves. It's a huge change. I'm having similar thoughts about the plastic surgery that I just booked today. I think it's probably a normal reaction when things suddenly become "real".

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

ScottAndrews
on 5/25/18 2:27 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Nervous feelings/ anxiety and even dread are 100% normal especially as this is many folks first time in an operating room.

The overwhelming majority of us in here "thank the heavens" that we made the decision we did.

selhard
on 5/25/18 5:31 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Dream and nerves set aside, if you are questioning whether or not you should have WLS, then why not go ahead and postpone or cancel. It is your body, your dream, your life and you wouldn't be the first person who did. Please answer these questions: If you did cancel WLS, what would you feel more-- relief or disappointment? Are you willing to start the six month insurance process over again at a later date? What would be your plan of action for better health if you did cancel WLS? Is anyone pressuring you to have WLS?

(My story: I struggled with the surgery decision for a long time. In those years of indecision, my weight-related health issues mushroomed out of control. At age 52, my doctor said, "either plan for WLS or plan your funeral." Waiting or backing out was no longer an option if I wanted to live and leave this earth healthier. Surgery regrets? No. Regrets I waited so long? Yes.)

LindyLin
on 5/25/18 8:23 am, edited 5/25/18 1:24 am

Honestly it is 100% my idea and there has been no pressure from anyone in my life, which is a blessing. I was not nervous about it until last week and since then it has been just nerves nerves nerves! I guess because it?s real now.

Thanks for sharing your story. I?m 37 and don?t want to wait any longer to start my life again, so I know I?m ready. The whole blood-and-guts of it is pretty terrifying... but I have a great surgeon with an impeccable record, so time to trust and go for it!

(deactivated member)
on 5/25/18 7:43 am

It is a big decision that you are making to have your body changed forever.

it can't let my dreams change my life. Dreams are just dreams, I could dissect them and make myself nuttier than I am now.

nNerves do get the best of us. Just for me I know I have no regrets.

LindyLin
on 5/25/18 8:27 am

So true, and thank you. Dreams are certainly not reality.

I was thinking more last night about the dream. My parents and friends are all continually saying, "You'll be fine, there won't be complications" etc... maybe the dream was more about me wanting to scream out my nervousness and to just be heard, instead of people shutting down my fears to make me feel better.

Dreams are fascinating!

(deactivated member)
on 5/25/18 9:04 am

Coming here for support does help.

I had a lot of fears before surgery. I had fears if I didn't have a the surgery I would miss out on life also. So many things I can do now has made life easier.

Maddymoe2
on 5/25/18 5:20 pm
RNY on 11/22/16

I asked my doctor for Valium. I took one the night before surgery so I could sleep and the morning of surgery. It helped so much with the nerves. Good luck! This surgery is life changing.

Lipster101
on 5/29/18 2:29 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I think big dreams come from big things, and it's ok to be nervous and a bit apprehensive. It's a big change and recovery is much different than you think, because it's different for everyone. I hope the approval comes through and you get a date soon. If you still feel anxious, talk to the doctor, and most of all do, listen to your instincts. Good Luck with any path you choose..

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics