Open RNY?

LindyLin
on 6/1/18 9:25 am

I was wondering if anyone has had an open RNY and would be willing to share their experience. I do have the choice to have a lapo procedure, but I'm not thrilled with the way the lapo doc is handling the pre-surgery stuff (basically no communication and leaving me in the dark about possible surgery dates and everything else).

The doc I have been seeing for the supervised diets is an older gentleman who has been doing RNY and Sleeves for almost 30 years and has an impeccable record, and I really like being around him... but he only does open RNY procedures. (Dr. Joseph Afram in Washington DC)

Thanks in advance for any info you're willing to pass along!

Julia S.
on 6/1/18 10:06 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

The first surgeon I went to made me feel like an idiot, she didn't listen to me or care what I had to say. When it came time for my second appointment I cancelled it I couldn't make myself go back. She is a good surgeon but has a God complex and from what I can tell treats most patients with disrespect, unless you agree with everything she says. I switched to the other Dr in the practice and almost didn't get the surgery, the approval was denied because he wasn't Center of Excellence certified- something unique to my insurance company. After trying other programs and not finding another surgeon I felt comfortable with or felt I could trust, I went back and said I would self finance. But my wonderful surgeon worked it out so the billing showed the other Dr was doing the surgery and he was assisting, when in reality he did the surgery. So they paid for it, but it was over a year and a struggle to get there. I gave up and managed to gain even more weight.

My advice is to find a surgeon that you trust. This is your life and you are entrusting it to someone else. If you don't have a good feeling about them listen to your intuition.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Librarian67
on 6/1/18 10:22 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Hi LindyLin,

I had an open RNY with Dr. Afram in February 2017. I am very happy with the results except for a couple things.

One, the incision that he made was about 4 inches long (as expected) but very off center and did not heal smoothly. I just had PS and it had to be cut out and restitched.

Two, the nutritionist does not give guidance that really works. She has been harassing me to eat crackers, bread, rice, etc. since day 1. Here on OH I have learned from the vets that carbs need to be kept to a minimum for success.

Three, I have lost 125+ pounds, more than half my body weight. Dr. Afram has been very upset with me and ordered me to regain 15-20 pounds. I just smile and nod and keep eating healthy and exercising.

Four, he has not been as vigilant as I'd like on doing followup labwork. Fortunately my PCP is very willing to do the labs so I can be sure that I stay healthy

Overall, I am happy with him and his practice. They are very friendly and GW is a great hospital.

If you have more questions for me, please feel free to PM me and I will answer you.

At orientation...

On May Day, 7 months into maintenance...

Janet

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

LindyLin
on 6/1/18 10:59 am

Ah thank you! Really appreciate your response. I need to do some thinking over the weekend, for sure.

Librarian67
on 6/1/18 11:05 am
RNY on 02/28/17

I'll be online on and off all weekend. Seriously, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM. Also meant to mention that a good friend had an open RNY with him 6-7 months before I did. She has lost over 200 pounds.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Julia S.
on 6/1/18 11:30 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

WOW! You look fabulous!

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Librarian67
on 6/1/18 11:43 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Thanks! Even better, I feel like a new person. My diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, asthma, and sleep apnea are all gone and I am in better shape than I was in my early 20s (51 now). It is a lifetime commitment though, not a quick fix. It is possible though to get a new life!

LindyLin
on 6/1/18 5:19 pm

So inspiring!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/18 5:29 pm

Janet congratulations!!!!! You look great!!! I am always so inspired when you mention your lunchtime walk to WWII memorial, after visiting DC and visiting the monuments! 13 miles one day! Beautiful though! Lots of walking!!! DC was a lot of fun!

sweetpotato1959
on 6/1/18 11:33 am

I had an open surgey, before Lapo was commonly done.. a different procedure that is no longer done. I had multiple problems addressed in a single surgery... including a bad gall bladder, multiple ovarian cysts and fibroids.My surgical scar extends from my epigastric to my pubis... so not what they are doing today for open surgeries...

The thing you need to cosider is not what others have done, so much as who you are comfortable giving contol of your surgery to.. You may be seeing this Dr for a very long time and if they have an ego problem it might not go so well.

.. if you get bad vibes from one Dr/ Don't get information you need.. GO, RUN , don't walk away..and find another one who can and will assist you in your persuit of health.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 101 views
Forum Search Error & 404