Recently approved for surgery - have some questions.

kc574
on 6/4/18 8:07 am - Bristol, IN

Last week I was approved for surgery. Yea... so excited! Anyway a couple things of varied topics...

1 - not a big deal but I want to add my surgery date to my profile, but not my surgeon so when I try to add new surgery it says surgeon is required. It's not that I have a problem with my surgeon or anything like that I just don't want to share that information online. Am I doing something wrong?

2 - I don't know what I don't know?!?!? So I'm drawing a blank when I think of questions I should have for my surgeon or for the whole team. So from those of you who have already walked through this - what kinds of questions should I be asking? What questions did you have?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as my surgery date grows closer... but today this is what I have!

These forums have been so helpful to me throughout these last 7 months or so.

AvsChic18
on 6/4/18 10:49 am
RNY on 02/01/18

Congrats on getting approved for surgery!

I am pretty sure there is a box you can check to hide your surgeon's info... I don't have mine listed, so I know there has got to be a box somewhere.

You will hear that everyone's journey is different. Very true; however, some things about surgery can be the same. Be prepared for the liquid diet the first few weeks after surgery. It seems like forever, but you will get through it. I had very minimal pain with my surgery. I also had my gallbladder removed at the same time. I think the worse part is the pain from the gas that they inflate you with during surgery.

My questions for the surgeon were quite minimal because I did so much research prior to surgery; sounds like you have as well. I mainly was concerned about how long I would be out of work, how long it would take to get my energy back, constantly needing affirmation on the food I was allowed to eat and wanting to know how much weight he expected me to lose.

I don't think my program prepared me well enough about the pain that you experience if you eat too fast, too much or eat a food your pouch isn't ready for yet. I also wish I would have realized how much my relationship with food was going to change. I knew it would, I just didn't know to what degree. I am 4 months out, which is still early in the process, but I have found that food and eating is a total chore and wish I didn't have to eat. I had a food meltdown yesterday at Village Inn because I ate only a few bites and started not to feel well. You look at everyone else around you and how they can eat "normal" but you just can't.

Please don't get me wrong, I am incredibly happy with my results so far. I was called a skinny ***** for the first time in my life yesterday. It was meant in a good way. You will have good and bad days.

Best of luck on your journey!!!

Julia S.
on 6/4/18 3:14 pm - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

I wish someone had told me about the excruciating pain you get if you eat too much or too fast. It makes you very cautious about eating, because you don't know when or if you are getting close to that point.

I know what you mean about not feeling well when you eat, there are just some things that make me nauseous on some days but not on others- you just never know. I agree eating right now is just a chore. I would forgo it if I could. Nothing sounds good to me and I just try to find ways to get the protein in that I can stand. The only things that I want to eat are things I shouldn't eat. I don't eat meat only fish and shrimp and they do not interest me now. I get totally bored and am looking for anything that doesn't make me want to gag. I eat lots of yogurt and have started making custard to switch it up, and of course Ready Nutrition Protein Water. I can't do shakes, lactose intolerant and reminds me too much of Optifast.

I have no regrets, it's just a learning curve, and I know I will eventually feel hungry again. I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

sweetpotato1959
on 6/4/18 4:39 pm

Have you tried greek yugurt? it was 2 years before i could eat over 3 bites of fish and after 23 years can eat 5 small shrimp...also if available in your area try the new A2 milk, or goats milk. some people that are lactose intolerant can..use it in moderation.

. Eggs! scramble them i beat mine with a tablespoon of water., and any seasoning desired..( avoid meat tenderizer until weight loss is complete),..use only small amt of oil on paper towel to wipe in skillet heat the skillet.well .then turn off, lift from heat a min...to allow skillet to cool/sear.. then replace on heat and add eggs. turn heat on.

eating very slowly is one key, chewing every very small bite- ice cream tasting spoon small.- 10 times. No oils, no fried, no mayo(-esp when eating out)..to eating without distress.

Possibly add a shake with peanut butter or a fruit serving added?use stevia to add more sweetness.I use Pyure brand It is processed cleanly..

Change your mind about what you are consuming . Psyche yourself positively instead. If you pre conceive it will not taste good and tastes like somthing you got tired of etc, your stomach may reject it..Try egg protein.powder or pea protein( there is an organic) powder for lactose intolerance., they come in flavors of chocolate and vanilla generally. I buy vanilla so i can use unsweet koolaid to change flavor should i need to...with stevia...... tell yourself out that is a desert even if protein shake and good for you..

Yep , when nothing else will go down corn chips and potato chips will.. so will pork skins if you like them and they are primarily protein.. and were allowed., very good for the munchies.. corn chips were encouraged with beans for a complete protein.

Julia S.
on 6/4/18 5:13 pm - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

Thanks for the input, Greek yogurt is truly my staple. I've been using lactose free milk for my custard and I haven't had any issues. It just seems my pouch is more sensitive than my stomach used to be. Bouts of nausea, cramping and diarrhea are all too common for me now. I've tried to figure out what triggers it and it never seems to be the same things. One time I'm fine and the next in misery.

It's just hard to care about food when I'm not hungry. I know it will change. Probably like everyone else I get in a rut, I really don't like to cook and end up making the same things over and over again. The simpler the better, so I've invested in some cook books and tried to find some things that interest me that I can tolerate.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

seattledeb
on 6/5/18 8:47 pm

I still have simple meals that I eat over and over again.

Theworldaccordingtoeggface.com was a good resource when I wanted to branch out.

selhard
on 6/4/18 12:12 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Here are a few questions I asked the WLS medical staff: 1) What type of WLS do you recommend for me? 2) What is on the horizon for new procedures that I may be interested in waiting for? 3) What traits do you see in highly successful WLSers? 4) What are the top things I can do to achieve the same success? 4) Where are the closest and/or best WLS support groups to attend? 5) What are the most common WLS complications you see and how can I avoid them, if possible?

sweetpotato1959
on 6/4/18 5:16 pm

You need to know... how long you will be on liquid diet? How long on soft?

Ask the Surgeon how much room you should have in your tool after surgery, and how long the edema takes to subside from the procedure he /she does? Then you will have an educated guess re:capacity. ..and will help you to make knowledge based decisions re: intake daily...

ex. my capacity for almost 8 weeks was 45 cc.Protein goal 90 grams/carbs below 50. I could eat one oz protein and 1/2 oz of everything else. stomach was slow to empty, after 45 min could sip a little water. I drank a lot of sugar free cocoa with protein powder in it until that swelling went down to get both liquids and proteins in...(was required to get 40 oz liquids.) It is a full time job after surgery just to get nurtition in. Know that there may be days you don't get all of something in..maybe 6 oz short on water one day...just make sure the next day you get all the water/liquid in..even if you have to short protein a little.. This will help keep your fluid balanced.

Drs recommendations for supplements after surgery...( mine recommeded 3 chewable flintstones + zinc+calcium+D,C.

Ask the Dr what he considers foods most critical in immediate post op. Some Drs stress protein and fruit. Others stress protein,a carb veg,.

Ask how long Does he recommend between foods and fluids.. this will be crucial to keep from stretching your pouch/tool.

Instructions for after surgery need to be clearly written what you are to take after for supplements, and any diet changes should be dated as to date to begin and end. YOU need specific Grams of Protein and Carb that He recommends for you to have... your prescribed dietand how long he would expect you to need that..to goal? and for maintainence___? .

..Make at least 3 copies of post op instructions. take a copy with you to keep up with any changes to visits afterward. Keep one for using as a master copy in case working copy, gets damaged or too many revisions to read clearly..and you need to make a fresh one. Date all changes on that paper ,

if something you do not tolerate or become allergic to, be sure to write it down on your list..What and why...

You should be keeping a diet diary now, and becoming very familiar with measurements of oz's and of fluid intake... for long enough to be very aware of where you are starting. You should be measuring your meats and figuring your carbs and Protein for each meal.

After a while you will be able to guess-ti-mate how many ounces of meat and thereby figure your protein without accurate measure.Same will go for water. do it so that you will be ahead on the game, and it will be easier for you, after surgery, because of the practice.

ASk the surgeon-" If i should require medical care, and a Doctor not familiar with theis surgery should need to take care of me... How can i explain the clearest, what procedure was done, so that Dr. can understand what was done to determine my best/safest treatment." My surgeon only practiced 7 years or so after he did my procedure,( his own health- He later explained it as, "no one wants a part-time surgeon"). I am so thankful I asked him this question. You could also end up moving beyond the area where that Dr is no longer accessible. ( I moved 1200 miles away once)

These surgical procedures will change your life, for the rest of your life. Keeping a positive attitude and expecting the best, but preparing for the worst is a good way to approach any of the gastric surgeries.

kc574
on 6/5/18 5:20 am - Bristol, IN

Thanks for all of your shares! How helpful! Some things raise more questions I hope to get to later.

I will certainly consider this information over the next month as I prepare for surgery, meet with my surgeon and do my pre-op class.

sweetpotato1959
on 6/5/18 4:34 pm

They say hindsight is 20/20. Those of us who had surgery years ago, were beneficiary of the pioneers of gastric/Obesity surgeries. They learned what worked, what did not work , what worked but was un-necesssary and what caused problems. I am just glad I can give some input to help others with this struggle. Our family had problem with this heriditary disease..(yes proven thru research at UT/Memphis) My Mom and I were part of this study. There is a gene that controlls pancreas function, hunger hormones and a host of other things that are inter-related.

Can we help our ancestors eho passed these on, No but we can alter our response to food and change ourintake. This surgery -Obesity surgery in general- gives us control. We must be brave enough to try , and we must be consistent in the appliation of our tool. You are about to undertake a wonderful journey. I am currently smaller than i have been since I was a young teenager... still not skinny... but on the way back to my orig goal...

When we had surgery ( My Mom and I both had it 6 months apart)..there was no pre-op class. So many of these questions may be addressed in the class.

Needs post op depend on many factors...height, weight, procedure to be done, healing needs,...Your surgeon will need to be the one to answer that question best. a nutritionist who works closely with the doctor you are seeing or nurse...will be 2nd and 3rd choices... for info they will have worked with Dr will have a ball park range for you.

For me the hardest thing was getting required protein and fluids in on same days...usually i was short on something...much of this was because it was an open procedure, my Dr did a double suture line with a line of staples between,..so I have had no problems with failure of staples.

..after a few days, i found the sugar free hot cocoa and a protein powder i could use together i had trouble with weakness because of very low calorie intake... they boosted my calories by 120-150 per day..and my energy returned..

. by week 2 end...25 lbs.... by the 3rd month i had lost 60 lb. total. In hospital i had extreme diziness, something from the anesthesia.. they put scopalamine patch behind my ear... and then i could walk.

You can do this, You are worth this effort and time dedicated to recovery of yur health. Go for it and know there are those here who will be cheering you on!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 418 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 373 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 80 views
Recent Topics