One month follow-up appointment questions

BB78
on 6/13/18 2:33 pm

I just had my follow-up and the amounts of what I am to be eating seem a little high to me. They suggest to have 800-1000 calories a day, 27-33 g of fat per day and the one that too me was way too high was carbs 90 - 130 per day.

I look at the "what you are eating" discussion most days and it seems even high for the people that are years out, let alone 6 weeks out. She also suggested eating sweet potato, broccoli and even whole what buns and oven baked fries.

Since I have starting eating the diet for life menu, I am sticking between 500 - 750 calories a day, less then 15 carbs and between 60 and 80 grams of protein. I have lost 34 pounds and continue to lose.

I plan on sticking to the plan I am currently on but just want to see if other plans are this way. I plan on never including buns or potatoes in my regular diet again.

Librarian67
on 6/13/18 3:26 pm
RNY on 02/28/17

The feedback you received is not uncommon, particularly related to carbs. Many nutritionists give guidance that doesn't lead to success.

In my experience, keeping carbs under 20 or 30g a day is best especially while you are losing and those should be from dairy and maybe small portions of nonstarchy veg. Wait for fruit and other carbs until maintenance or not at all.

I would also work to add in more dense protein. It will keep you full for longer and continue to help your body heal. Also don't worry too much about the fats. They will help your bowels and skin.

I also found that my surgeon was advising only 64 oz of fluids a day. That's okay at first but as you go on work up to at least 100oz or more. It really helps keep you hydrated and healthy.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

sweetpotato1959
on 6/13/18 6:35 pm

BB78,

If the high carb diet worked there would be no need for weight loss surgery. Every diabetic would be very skinny instead of heavy arounnd the middle. The nutritionist is trying to set you up to fail.

I agree with what other poster has said. You will probably see more weight loss if you boost your protein up to 80-100 grams lean protein, continue to count/keep low carbs .. water has no calories ..fat intake should be adequate for needs as to not be hungry ...If your poop is clay colored or light and floating you are getting too much. If normal for you med brown...and adequate without constipation you are probably getting enough.. This takes the constant calorie count out. If i keep up with protein and carbs keeping both in range my calories fall into the amount recommended for me... so it just took one factor out for me to watch daily. I am 23 years out/obselete gastrc surgery. still within 15 lbs of orig goal...I had a regain and have been slowly loosing it again...health issues have interferred but still counting proetin and carbs...

I also advocate as much water, pure water as one can get in... with no artificial sweetners.. I use" Pyure Stevia" ( Now brand origional is a good liquid one to use to make deserts/sweeten fruit with)... I have no affiliation with them but love their granulated naturally processed product. a serving is 1/8 tsp,..is economical/natural. I also like the Stevia leaf that I pick from a plant... got to find another one to have available again...I lost mine over the winter.

I would suggest you make sure all your fats are healthy fats.. If you eat chicken skin it and in the thigh there are pockets of fat, be sure to pick them out... olive oil, coconut oil, are my favorites( I tolerate little added and use a brush or paper towel to put a skim/1/2 on a skillet before I fry my eggs- I also make sun butter using sunflower oil butter and coconunt oil.. This gives it the same beneficial fatty acids as are recommended for the heart, by my husbands cardiologist....that is IN walnut oil...my recipe is: In a pint jar cut up..2 sticks (1/2 lb real) butter, 2 large tablespoons coconut oil, add sunflower oil to 1/2" below shoulder of jar, blend well . brush on pans, with silicone brush or wipe a few drops in a skillet to coat skillet and make it be truly non stick. I use a teasooon to season veggies for the whole family..and i can eat what is prepared without making a separate dish...I heat teh skillet,then allow to cool and then turn on heat and add eggs. Eggs are my primary protein for the moment...since we have chickens and they are producing well.I feed the chickens wild greens and increase their protein with free ranging as I can and they reward me with wonderful egg,...

karenp8
on 6/14/18 5:30 am - Brighton, IL

As the others have said,don't follow this plan if you want to lose all your excess weight and keep it off. I was given similar advice by my surgeon but followed what I saw here instead. I took into consideration that my surgeons weight goal for me still left me overweight and thats where I would have ended with their advice. Following the advice here I lost all my excess weight in about nine months and have maintained now for over 5 years. Please just stick with what works.

supershopper
on 6/14/18 7:09 am

I stayed under 800 for at least a year in order to get to goal. I really had to keep at it to lose under my goal weight. kept carbs really low also

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Julia S.
on 6/14/18 10:07 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

I was told the same thing by my surgeon that I should be between 800-1000 calories. I've not been doing that I've been averaging 600-800 at the most, I've had a few days at 900+ but they are few a far between. I occasionally have a small amount of bread but not often. I really don't count carbs the only ones I get are from Greek yogurt and fresh strawberries, my garden is overflowing, I can't eat them fast enough. I've been trying to give them away.

I'd follow what everyone on OH has been saying, they are successful and for me I'm still learning as I'm only on my 5th month post-op.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

sweetpotato1959
on 6/14/18 3:05 pm

Freeze those extra strawberries, they can also be canned... have to look for it on line. OR.... they can also be dehydrated for fruit snack.. wash, slice, put on dehydrator rack at lower temp...130-135 degrees. dehydrate til crispy... seal in glass jar with hot hands and they will Keep a long time... then you will be able to enjoy them all winter.

to use as fresh take out 1/2 the amount you want or need. put warm water over to just cover..( usually close to amount you are getting out to rehydrate....1 tablespoon dry will yield 2 tablespoon as fresh... can also eat them crunchy...

Julia S.
on 6/14/18 3:13 pm - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

Thanks for the idea, I just bought a dehydrator. I have had them crunchy and it's a good snack.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Haley_Martinez
on 6/15/18 12:20 pm
RNY on 05/03/18

I had the exact same situation with my nutritionist! He tells me that my program recommends between 1000 and 1200 calories a day starting at 2 months and no limit on carbs (though they do say no bread, pasta, etc.) I looked at him like he was crazy and I even got up the nerve to actually ask him, I said that I had been apart of an online WLS community for a bit now and from what I can tell people eat between 600 and 800 calories for the first year, and wouldn't it be more difficult to lose weight if I ate so much? He laughed and said that the OH members were probably lying about how much they ate and he's never had any issues with his patients eating the recommended amount. I didn't pu**** but I sure as heck am not following his plan. I eat between 400 and 600 calories a day and try and keep my carbs below 30g/day and it's working for me!

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

Partlypollyanna
on 6/15/18 12:58 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I am starting to realize I'm incredibly lucky with the nutritionist that I currently have!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 414 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 361 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 420 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?