What to look for in a personal trainer?

Librarian67
on 7/9/18 6:26 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Hi folks! I am 16.5 months post-RNY and have done really well with getting in my cardio (mostly walking and swimming) 5-6 days per week since surgery. In February of this year I had to have an abdominal hysterectomy and in May I had PS (TT, BL), both of which meant time off vigorous activity. I am back to swimming and walking now but still on restrictions for ab exercises (planks, crunches, etc).

While my the muscles in my legs are pretty developed from the walking and swimming, my abs and arms are fairly weak. Honestly, I like the cardio but weights not so much. I need to get motivated to do strength training for my health, though, particularly to improve my bone density.

I am wondering whether I should just shell out and hire a personal trainer at least for a while to provide some information and accountability. I've never worked with a trainer before and always felt too inferior to stick with it. For those of you who have worked with a trainer, I'd love some advice on what to look for. Unfortunately the trainer at my gym/pool is not taking new clients, so I will have to look somewhere else.

Any thoughts would be helpful!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Megdot582
on 7/9/18 7:35 am
RNY on 04/30/18

I have been working with a trainer for over 7 years. In that time I have had 2 amazing ones, including the gal I am currently with, and several real stinkers.

First, if you have any injuries or medical conditions (your surgery and lifts count) knowledge of those is important. Schedule flexibility is important for me because of my migraines, but for some it is not a big deal. Nutrition knowledge was not a factor for me as I know more than most trainers at this point, but a willingness to not have a say in my diet was important.

The most important thing that you should look for is someone with a method that complements you. Some people react well to a Jillian Michaels style, in your face yelling and pushing hard, others react better to quiet insistence and encouragement. I react well to jokes, some encouragement and good counting of my reps.

If you have to shop around I would see who can give you single sessions to start with in order to find someone you like. Some of these may be free, but it is worth it to try several to find a trainer who you -want- to go see once or a couple times a week.

Partlypollyanna
on 7/9/18 8:14 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I agree with everything Megdot said!

I have had success with and worked with two personal trainers, in two states. I also had a handful of trainers at various gyms that were not successful!

In the plus column, one was affiliated with a gym and one would come to my home. I really liked having one come to my home because it's hard to come up with excuses when they are standing at the door!

If you go that route, they should let you do a meeting -- it's important to like someone you're going to be paying to put you through your paces! Mine always did a meeting to get to know you, your goals and needs first and then a workout to see how that goes and then it's a commitment of X. The first thing I tell them is "yelling and being mean will not work, I expect to be pushed to my limits and beyond but if you're not nice, we're not going to work". You have to know what works for your for motivation! I also wanted someone that would mix up the exercises, I can do cardio on my own but needed guidance on the weights, etc. With my last trainer, I discovered a love of boxing that I never knew I had which was cool.

I will say that a lot of the trainers I've met with (including my current) have strange ideas about nutrition -- so it's better to just say "not interested in that part of it" if you are not interested....I still hear about his wacky ideas but more in conversation than in trying to recruit me to them (there was never a day that I was going to say yes to the one beer a day diet or the taco diet).

One other thing I would say, because I'm in the process now, is that even if you find a great trainer, you may find that you out grow them or that it doesn't work for you anymore. I've been finding my work outs more annoying and less challenging so once I finish this cycle, I'm going take a break from the personal training for awhile and look to do more classes at the local rec center. I feel very complacent and don't like that.

I think it's a great idea to try to get you familiar with some new things! Good luck!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Theduffman27
on 7/9/18 8:54 am
VSG on 11/19/14

There are several in the area that frequent the gym I go to. I watched, I asked and I researched and then chose a trainer. My trainer was great, I told her what I wanted to achieve and we worked on an exercise plan. I did not do any one on one workouts with her. The workouts she gave me kicked my butt, I gained muscle and lost inches in areas. The biggest obstacle for my muscle growth is the lack of being able to eat as much as is required to get where I want to be. I do not want to be a Body Builder, but wish I had more muscle.

1. Pre- Surgery/ Type 2 Diabetes, High BP and Cholesterol, treated with 6 medications, including Insulin. Post Op- low dose BP med 2022, Mounjaro 10/2023

HW - 299 , Consult day weight - 277, Day of surgery ( 11/19/2014) - 259,LW - 178, GW - 195, CW- 194.2 - reached goal

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/9/18 11:32 am

A good trainer will work with you, your body and limitations.

Important it is to find someone who can work and have experiance with older people. Our body is different than 20-30 years old.

You would need to let the person know when exercise start hurting. Muscle pains are expected, but not joints or back pain. That is critical IMO. Trainer who works with people recovering from surgeries - I found them to be more aware that not all exercise are good for everyone.

I have lower back issues, SI joints, plus sciatica. And I had hernia. I had limitations what I could do safely.

I was working with PT for 6 months. My muscles would get sensitive, but only one-time my back started hurting. And we never did that exercise again.

Also - it is important for me to know that I can get a few items for home and now, after 6 months, I can do 90% of the exercises at home. I think I spent less than 200 on bench, free weights, roller, and rubber bands. I spent less since I found the bench on FB sale group. And I already had a set of free weights.

Good luck.

BTW - a good trainer will do evaluation first. Then he/she can tell you what they will help you improve.

I would avoid anyone who tried to sell you any supplements. That to me it is a red flag.

Or try to tell you what to eat.

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ScaleSkater
on 7/9/18 11:36 am, edited 7/9/18 4:37 am

I focused on how they positioned themselves on the profile board (I was taking advantage of a PT special at my club to try a package). Becky is perfect and it's like she's in my head with what I want to tackle. She assessed me and asked a few goals - bam. She's pushing me in areas and informing me on exactly what I want to know. I'm like a sponge. I'm getting stronger everyday. I see us working together for a long time. What drew me to her - she said she focuses most on the core and on specific muscular key weakness areas vs. the dreck stated by the muscle heads. Actually as I watch a number of other trainers now - there are several that look very good and one is now my backup if Becky leaves. I watch how they both work with other clients and ask Becky how we can adapt. This is the best decision I've made, other than getting the surgery. I'm pushing forward in ways like never before.

Since you can't use your club. I'd ask that good trainer at your club or people in your classes at the club for recos. If they don't - go to a trusted fitness supply house that sells treadmills and such. They have to maintain their reputations, so recos are usually very good. Another source might be a trusted Chiro or massage therapist who knows who might be good in the area.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

supershopper
on 7/10/18 4:53 am

I've also been contemplating an in person versus an online coach. There are also some really good online ones- NY mom can provide some feedback also likely.

never had one before so need more research on it.

good post

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Partlypollyanna
on 7/10/18 11:12 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I've thought about looking at Daily Burn or fitness blender but I don't know anyone that has tried them, and I like personal recommendations, lol

Jen

Librarian67
on 7/10/18 5:00 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Just to follow up on my OP, I found information for a personal trainer that had a table at a work health fair and contacted him. He does in person sessions as well as cyber sessions, which would be very convenient. I did a bit of research and found out that he also works with quite a few post-WLS clients, which I hope will give him a better idea of what I need. I contacted him about doing several in person sessions to get more comfortable with things and then doing some cyber sessions. I talk to him today to work out more details.

If anyone has information about other online trainers, I would appreciate the information in case this one doesn't work out.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Partlypollyanna
on 7/10/18 11:14 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Finding someone that understandS WLS would be huge. My first successful trainer was an Uber athlete who had had a car accident and had to start As a 28 year old learning to walk again, so he was fantastic with 300 lb me who hadn't really worked or since high school. Really helped me build a foundation. Finding someone that "got it"'was huge!!

Jen

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 401 views
Recent Topics