Considering WLS again

SassyK74
on 7/11/18 9:26 am, edited 7/11/18 9:26 am - MN

I was first on here back in 2002. Thought I could lose on my own, but was seriously considering surgery. I chickened out. I weigh in today at 275 lbs. I met with family physician to discuss my weight loss options.

She mentioned a seminar and a medical coach. I have to wait a week for a call. Surgery really scares me. I know several people who have had the surgery and that eases my concerns some. I've decided if i do get surgery it will be the rny. I used to really want lapband, but rny has better results.

Can you tell me about the steps to get surgery? Pre-op experiences, recommendations for recovery? How do you feel about your decision, what do you miss most?

Highest/Current/Goal
283/275/135

Surgery not scheduled

Librarian67
on 7/11/18 9:43 am
RNY on 02/28/17

The best thing to do is to use the search function on the site and read lots of past posts. As far as the steps to get surgery, that will depend completely on your insurance and the doctor you choose. I suggest that you call the customer service number on your insurance card and they can give you information. Each plan has different requirements.

The other thing that I will tell you is that surgery is just a tool and does not fix your brain or a lifetime of habits. It may be useful to you to see a nutritionist, coach or therapist about why you gained weight to begin with. Surgery will most likely help you to lose weight at first, but without working on other issues, there is no guarantee of long term success any more than any other "diet."

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Amy R.
on 7/11/18 10:01 am

Hi! Glad you came back, especially glad that you are asking questions.

Most physicians and programs require some standard pre-op tests and procedures and such. Things such as cardiac clearance, sleep testing, passing a psychiatric evaluation, EGD's, pre op diets, waiting times, etc.
But each insurance has it's own particulars. And if you're paying cash you have a lot more leeway. So the actual details depend upon your specific situation.

Call your insurance company and get them to send you a hard copy of their requirements pre-op and you'll have a better idea. If they won't send a copy and you don't have one, go to their website and find and print it. Insurance companies have a nasty little habit of changing policy details, which is their prerogative. But they do it in such fine print that we have to be extra attentive. You should have a dated hard copy (regardless of source) of your insurances requirements and their coverage. Keep that for obvious reasons.

Sadly it seems insurance requirements override even a doctor's assessment.

The best way to find answers to the other questions you have is to read through forum posts. There is a search button on OH that can help you if you're interested in specifics. You can always also start more threads with your questions .

I am completely 100% happy with my decision. This surgery saved my life. I don't miss a thing. As we get farther out we have more experiences and not all of those are happy. But the bottom line for me is that I've lived almost ten extra years already. I've been able to welcome two new grandsons and two new son-in-laws in that period of time. Without taking action, I'd have missed it all.

Good luck. I hope you find whatever it is that works for you.

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/18 11:00 am

Read your insurance policy to see if it covers WLS. Mine did but had a lot of gray areas

SassyK74
on 7/11/18 1:16 pm - MN

My insurance covers it with a referral.

Highest/Current/Goal
283/275/135

Surgery not scheduled

karenp8
on 7/11/18 4:19 pm - Brighton, IL

I had my RNY almost 6 years ago and my starting weight was the same as yours. I had been obese my whole life,even as a child and was out of breath going down my basement steps. I had back and knee pain all day every single day. I was on meds for diabetes,high cholesterol and triglycerides and high blood pressure. I was 52 years old and miserable. I was exhausted every day and my knees were always swollen from my severe rheumatoid arthritis. In 9 months I lost all my excess weight by following directions and being careful to weigh and measure my food. I walked every day and sought help from a therapist to find others way to deal with stress besides eating. I knew if I didn't make permanent changes in my attitude towards food I would regain every pound I lost. My weight today is holding between 118 and 120 pounds and I'm off meds except one low dose blood pressure pill and my vitamins. I walk 6 or more miles every day for fun and still weigh and measure my food. When stressed I knit or go for a walk instead of eating. I'm now traveling in an RV with my boxer and my hubby and working for three week stretches at children's homes and church camps. I can do anything I want and still have tons of energy at the end of the day. RNY was the best decision I have ever made and I feel better at 58 than I did at 28. Its not easy but with surgery it's possible to hold obesity at bay. And when you feel so much better it makes it easier to stay away from the sweets and snacks that kept me obese. Before and after pics to follow.

jenorama
on 7/11/18 4:43 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

It's a big step. I chickened out once, too. I went to the seminar, had the consult and thought, "I lost before doing [diet program x], I can do it again!" No, no I could not.

Once I decided to have surgery, I read just about every single post here. Most, if not all, of your questions will be answered. I also read the book, "WLS For Dummies". It was very informative and factual and covered all of the major surgeries.

I'm coming up on my five-year surgiversary and I pretty much don't regret making the decision at all. I'm maintaining a 160lb loss and I can't think of anything I miss.

Good luck to you in your quest!

Jen

Teenie
on 7/12/18 11:38 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

I was just like you I was approved in 2015 and I chickened out needless to say I couldn't do it on my own and I know people who are obese and still think they can do it on there own as the diabetes heart problems and the multitude of other obesity problems destroy the one body god gave them. You'll be scared and nervous your not human if your not. Not only did I give up the food but I had the challenge of giving up smoking also. I'll be honest I'm 29 weeks out and I have not one regret. Oh yeah I got one that I didn't do it in 2015. Good luck on your journey it will go fast and you'll have the weight off in no time.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

ShandrewsCA
on 7/12/18 12:27 pm, edited 7/12/18 5:33 am - Coeur D Alene, ID

RNY surgery was the absolute best decision at the time that I made for my health that I do NOT regret AT ALL.

BUT . . .

Had I known about ketogenics and the Keto diet, I might have given that an honest shot before my surgery first, but it wasn't a thing back in 2005. I'm not trying to discourage you, but you asked how we feel about our decision. If I could have lost a majority of the weight through a different way-of-eating, then I wouldn't have malabsorption issues, kidney stones, have to take a multi-vitamin every day of my life for the rest of my life, etc and etc. I had a 44 lb weight gain over the past 18 months due to peri-menopause and poor eating choices, and since starting Keto on December 11th I have lost 40 of those lbs.

Regarding steps for the surgery, my insurance company required I take a year of gastric-bypass classes (once a week), 12 weeks of nutrition classes, and a variety of health tests. After I did everything they required, they denied me. Twice. Third time was the charm after my primary care physician called them and raised hell. Be prepared for a possible battle, although maybe it is easier nowawadays then it was back then.

Good luck

Pre-RNY Weight: 280 lbs (09/14/05)

Lowest Post-Op Weight: 140 lbs

Starting Ozempic Weight: 180 lbs (08/26/22)

Week 1 Weight: 174 lbs (09/02/22)

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/18 1:57 pm

I am interested in trying Keto ... did you buy a book or follow something online? thanks!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 419 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 97 views
Recent Topics