Sleevey Wonders question

Au_Contraire
on 8/9/18 4:48 pm, edited 8/9/18 5:05 pm

As I approach a normal weight, I can really see the damage done by remaining SMO for 9 years. I had gone up and down in my weight befpre, several times losing huge amounts of weight, but I had never before been so fat for so, so long, and of course I am 64, which doesn't help. One unfortunate consequence that I never experienced before is that I can see weirdly lumpy, loose skin on my upper arms - more's the pity! It's so hot today and I have no air conditioning. Finally I broke down and changed into a pretty sleeveless dress, which looks nice everywhere but which exposes my unfortunate upper arms. I am praying that this will somehow fix itself with time and exercise, but the probability is that it won't resolve without surgery. So until then, I will pretty much have to stick to 3/4 and long sleeves, which are hot on a day like today! I'm home by myself today so I don't care that my arms are exposed, but I will change before I take the lab out for a good long walk this evening.

Anyway, someone on OH once mentioned Sleevey Wonders (www.sleeveywonders.com), little tops which you can wear under sleeveless clothes, and which make those garments look like they were originally made with sleeves. I would like to know, from anyone who has owned these, what degree of compression do they provide, and are they comfortable? My arms aren't really that big, I don't have trouble wearing smaller tops, they just don't look attractive sleeveless anymore, and I have several lovely sleeveless dresses I would like to wear again.

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/18 5:24 pm

I do not know about the company you speak of but I love "kimonos" that are quite fashionable right now. They are light and airy and don't add too much warmth but cover the upper arm. I have a few different in my wardrobe that I have built up over the years they go nice over fitted or straight type dresses (flowing type not so much) and look great with tank tops over jeans. I hate my upper arms too.... I buy mine at Loft and dress barn... they have a nice selection right now it looks like!

https://www.loft.com/search/searchResults.jsp?question=Kimon os

https://www.dressbarn.com/dressbarn/search?Ntt=Floral+Kimono &N=4294946697&autoSuggest=true

Megan

Au_Contraire
on 8/9/18 8:21 pm

Very pretty Megan! Thanks for the idea!

Amy Liz
on 8/9/18 7:03 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

I've never seen or heard of these before. They are so cool! I wish I had known about them years ago as I have never liked my arms, like ever. I had chicken skin bumps all over them as a kid/teen/20's and then I was just over weight and self conscious. Now I have this crepey skin....I saw a few I would order in a heartbeat!

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 177 GW 175

Au_Contraire
on 8/9/18 8:27 pm, edited 8/9/18 1:31 pm

Me too Amy! Especially the black, navy, and ivory 3/4 sleeves ones in both mesh and jersey. I also like the purple, the black lace, and the black dotted mesh. And the one that looks like floral tattooed sleeves!

Megdot582
on 8/9/18 7:34 pm
RNY on 04/30/18

I own 2 pairs of sleevey wonders and although I love them, and recommend them highly for coverage and nicely changing the look of something.... they offer no compression at all. The two I have are different materials and sizes and there is no compression. That said, they are amazing and make it so I wear the sleeveless things in my wardrobe that much more often!

Au_Contraire
on 8/9/18 8:28 pm

Oh thank you! It's good to hear from someone with actual experience! I do wish there was slight compression, though.

Laura in Texas
on 8/10/18 7:32 am

HERE is an old post for sleeves (with a review) that do offer compression.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Au_Contraire
on 8/10/18 10:57 am

Laura, thank you!

Gwen M.
on 8/14/18 11:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Those are the brand I wore once I no longer needed medical compression garments after my brachioplasty, but still wanted some compression. They were warm in the summer, but okay otherwise.

You might consider compression heat gear shirts from under armour, as those are made to keep you cool in the summer but still give compression.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 297 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics