Gel Capsules

BattlecryForever
on 8/24/18 9:42 pm

I keep seeing conflicting information about whether we can absorb gel capsules post-op. I tend to choke on pills that aren't gel caps, so can we or can't we take them??

White Dove
on 8/25/18 4:07 am - Warren, OH

My surgeon told me to take a pin and pierce them first and then take them with warm water. Because there is not enough acid in the stomach and they would not just dissolve like before surgery. Back then they prescribed Vitamin D in oil filled capsules. Now I can get it in tablets.

When I choked on pills, he said to take them with a teaspoon of applesauce.

I still use chewable vitamins.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 8/25/18 6:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 25, 2018 at 4:42 AM Pacific Time, BattlecryForever wrote:

I keep seeing conflicting information about whether we can absorb gel capsules post-op. I tend to choke on pills that aren't gel caps, so can we or can't we take them??

I think we can absorb them just fine. Gel cap are made from collagen in the form of gelatin. Similar to the gelatin in jello.

White Dove
on 8/25/18 9:21 am - Warren, OH

Is that what those old Vitamin D caps were made from, Holly?

hollykim
on 8/25/18 10:18 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I'm not sure what old caps you are talking about.

Todays gel caps are made from gelatin from collagen.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/25/18 10:59 am

There are dry filled gel capsules, and oil based filled gel capsules.

The dry filled can be made from collagen or vegan, made from some type of cellulos. The capsules that look like small foodball the ones with oil based filling are much thicker than the one for dry stuff and are mostly made from gelatin.

One of the problem with oil filled capsules is that post op RNY, we may not absorb oil based supplements as well as before RNY.

Taking oil soluble vitamins prepared as "dry" formula that disolvable in water allow for better absorption post op RNY or DS.

I can take some gel capsules with no problem, and my body has no problem with them.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 8/25/18 1:01 pm - Warren, OH

Thanks, I was happy when I could get dry vitamin D.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/25/18 1:09 pm

Me too. I also take Dry A. I take dry D3, 50,000 IU 1-2 times a week. My D3 is 70 last time they checked. My goal is 55-75. I don't like it too low, or too high.

Most people don't understand that a very high D may allow the body to absorb too much calcium. Too much calcium when not enough K2, magnesium, boron, stronium can lead to arteries calcification, and calcium deposits when we don't want - need it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 8/25/18 1:15 pm - Warren, OH

It is a real balancing act. I appreciate how much you know and share.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 234 views