Help! What could this be??...

ilovemyguts
on 9/9/18 2:42 pm, edited 9/9/18 2:44 pm
RNY on 08/07/18

Hi everyone,

I had my RNY August 17, and posted a few weeks ago about some complications. I had intraabdominal bleeding and a blood transfusion?my stomach looked like a dog?s breakfast. I then developed an infection at an incision site and had a 7-day course of antibiotics which cleared it up.

Now, I have a red patch of skin on the lowest part of my abdomen. It started as some red spots that were itchy and in the last week it has grown into a pretty large patch, which is warm, and very itchy. It doesn?t hurt unless I scratch it too hard and then it stings. I tried a few days of canesten and betaderm, a steroid cream, with no improvement.

I went to my family doctor yesterday and she said it looked like maybe psoriasis? I don?t know anything about psoriasis... she told me since the betaderm I used was a few years old, it probably wasn?t working right. Since yesterday I?ve put on 3 applications and it has not improved at all. I?m going to call the bariatric doctor tomorrow but has anyone had something like this post-surgery?

The top pic is the red rash--raised, skin feels like a different texture and itchy! Bottom is my tummy after operation, just for refeeence.

supershopper
on 9/9/18 2:50 pm

hi

i have no idea but I would go to the surgeon

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

peachpie
on 9/9/18 3:15 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Can you email your surgeon the pic? I was able to do that when I had a minor infection in an incision site.

definetly looks abnormal- I, wondering is a stitch, glue, etc was used that you are reacting to.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Writergurl08
on 9/9/18 3:18 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

I also vote for seeing your surgeon. Could it be an allergic reaction (hives?)

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

hollykim
on 9/9/18 6:05 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 9, 2018 at 9:42 PM Pacific Time, ilovemyguts wrote:

Hi everyone,

I had my RNY August 17, and posted a few weeks ago about some complications. I had intraabdominal bleeding and a blood transfusion?my stomach looked like a dog?s breakfast. I then developed an infection at an incision site and had a 7-day course of antibiotics which cleared it up.

Now, I have a red patch of skin on the lowest part of my abdomen. It started as some red spots that were itchy and in the last week it has grown into a pretty large patch, which is warm, and very itchy. It doesn?t hurt unless I scratch it too hard and then it stings. I tried a few days of canesten and betaderm, a steroid cream, with no improvement.

I went to my family doctor yesterday and she said it looked like maybe psoriasis? I don?t know anything about psoriasis... she told me since the betaderm I used was a few years old, it probably wasn?t working right. Since yesterday I?ve put on 3 applications and it has not improved at all. I?m going to call the bariatric doctor tomorrow but has anyone had something like this post-surgery?

The top pic is the red rash--raised, skin feels like a different texture and itchy! Bottom is my tummy after operation, just for refeeence.

looks like a yeast infection to me.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/11/18 1:03 am

My thoughts exactly. But dermatologist can see that and diagnose it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

catwoman7
on 9/9/18 8:38 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I broke out in hives during week 3. They thought it was the ursodial as that's one of the potential side effects, so they had me stop taking it. But when I went back on it two weeks later, no hives. So who knows what it was. Some weird reaction to *something*. But it looked similar - although I had blotches all over my torso, not just in one place. I agree with the others - email this to your surgeon.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/10/18 4:17 am

Allergic reaction or yeast infection.

I would try to see a dermatologist.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/18 10:36 am
Member Services
on 9/11/18 4:46 pm - Irvine, CA

You definitely need to see your surgeon and have him diagnose this, but I had a similar issue when I had my surgery and it turned out to be a fungal infection. I was treated with OTC medication and it was gone within a few weeks. I hope you can get some resolution to the problem but definitely see your surgeon!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 476 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 440 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 379 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 105 views
Forum Search Error & 404