Food Intolerance

Skywatcher_Dawn
on 10/2/18 6:02 am, edited 10/5/18 8:00 am
RNY on 08/20/18

RNY August 20: my recovery was unremarkable until about two weeks ago when I began experiencing a stomachache at every meal. I responded by checking my eating habits - measuring my portions, eating even less than measured, small bites, chewing, and pausing between bites. The stomachaches continue. I find myself eating less and less, and becoming adverse to more foods - after eating a particular food makes me feel bad once or twice, I can't bring myself to eat it any more.

Yesterday was my 6-week appointment with my nutritionist, who instructed me to return to all soft foods. After I left I received a call from the RN Case manager, asking me further questions and then another call telling me that the Surgeon wants me to come in to see him. I was uncomfortable before but now I am a bit concerned. What is he looking for?

8/5/2018 Update :

Surgeon is sending me for an Upper GI (X-ray with contrast). If the images show narrowing, then we'll be going for an endoscopy & dilation Now I'm just waiting for the scheduler to call.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/2/18 6:35 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There are a lot of things it could be, including things that even non WLS people get, like a stomach bug. Its most likely very minor. Get checked out, and try not to worry too much.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

catwoman7
on 10/2/18 7:05 am
RNY on 06/03/15

They're probably wanting you to come in to check for something like a stricture, which is minor and an easy fix (I had two of them). You're in the right time frame for them (usually 1-3 months post surgery. They're very rare after that). Or it could be you're just not ready to advance your diet or, as Grim said, it could just be a stomach bug. Whatever out is, it's very likely minor. I wouldn't worry about it , although I know when you're the one with the issue, it's hard not to worry!!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

chris142
on 10/2/18 10:24 am - Newark, OH

I am 15 years out now and can say that my RNY surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself ! I also had problems similar to yours and ended up getting 2 EGD procedures before it was resolved. It will become second nature to know what foods to avoid and believe me you will know. I cant eat rice at all and pasta and some meats can be a problem if eaten to fast. Your surgeon will know what to do. Its going to be fine, you got this!

Librarian67
on 10/2/18 11:48 am
RNY on 02/28/17

I agree with everything others have said. Some pouches have problems at different times and you were right to ask about it. A stricture (easy fix) is a possibility and food intolerances happen at different stages. The pouch can be fickle.

Let me ask what you are and were eating. I am more than 19 months out but my pouch has good days and bad days. I have NO tolerance for rice and yeast breads and potatoes depend on the day. I don't dump but boy I have prayed that I would! Some nutritionists approve of these foods but you will have to learn what is best for your body.

Until I hit maintenance, I really focused on dense protein. Unfortunately so of the options can be very dry or greasy and pouches can be funky about them.

What are foods that are working for you?

In the end, the MOST important thing is to stay super-hydrated. Try liquids at different temperatures if one thing or another isn't working. It is definitely about learning what works for you.

All the best!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Skywatcher_Dawn
on 10/3/18 8:05 am
RNY on 08/20/18

It's an issue with everything I eat or drink to varying degrees. My nutritionist directed me back to soft foods only. Nausea and pain from my first drink of water in the morning. Eggs were a favorite my first time through soft foods, but now I can't stand the thought of them... same with chicken. Part of the aversion is psychological now, I am sure. I'm hoping to get some answers soon, though.

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/18 9:44 pm, edited 10/2/18 2:44 pm
Skywatcher_Dawn
on 10/3/18 8:18 am
RNY on 08/20/18

I'm seeing the surgeon tomorrow: it'll be interesting to see what he has to say. I believe the aversion is largely psychological and I'll work through it, but first I would hope to eliminate or lessen the source of the pain. (and yes, I do have a therapist that I'm working on with on food issues!)

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/18 8:38 am
Ken S.
on 10/5/18 5:04 pm - Hanover, PA

My RNY was 02/2014. I had the same problem, and it WAS mostly psychological for me. My wife was wonderful and forced me to eat and eventually I was able to get past it. I have had 3 bowel obstructions since then, and after each one, I would experience that same feeling again. I fight through it, knowing it that it is mostly in my mind! Now, having said that, I am NOT saying that yours is NOT a physical problem, but try to learn the difference so you don't cause other issues by NOT eating due to your mind saying not to, but your body is saying PLEASE! :)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 413 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 71 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?