Jupiter6’s Posts

Jupiter6
on 7/11/14 6:00 am
Topic: RE: 6.5 years post-op and checking in!

I would also like to respond, but my alleged death is getting in the way.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Jupiter6
on 7/11/14 5:56 am
Topic: RE: I am neither dead nor fat yet!

Just thought I'd squelch those rumors you crazy kids. Carry on! 

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Jupiter6
on 1/31/12 1:48 am
Topic: RE: What I wish I'd known before surgery...
 Please see my post for an idea of the medical and surgical things you might face.Some are weight loss related but many are due to the surgery itself.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 1/31/12 12:05 am, edited 1/31/12 12:11 am
Topic: RE: What I wish I'd known before surgery...
My kinda thread! I am home sick today and thought I'd take a sec to drop by the ol' watering hole.

Wish I had known:

1) The struggle is daily and lifelong. The calculator in my head never turns off and for life I am a slave to numbers and choices, and that's a real loss of freedom.

2) Just how much the presence of free eating gave me solace and comfort than I would never really learn to replace

3) I really didn''t have to go so low cal for so long. I think I ate 650 for a year and that's just stupid

4) I would have to spend $30k of money I don't have just to be passably functional with all the skin

5) How sad I could be passing a Cinnabon.

6) That I would need my gall bladder out, an emergency bowel resection, a hernia, medications for life to be able to poop, spend $100 a month on supplements, need infusions to get iron (15 hour long trips to a chemo lab in a month) and that hormonally I would completely lose interest in sex, and develop massive growths in my uterus that require surgical removal as a result of the massive hormone dump the cells released.

7) That I would lose the ability to vomit (believe it or not it comes in handy)

8) That I would lose my belly button

9) That I would become so ascerbic and confused and anxious

10) That I would lose my self identity-- from a strong pretty fat woman to some weird looking soccer mom I don't recognize.

11) That weight loss makes you smaller but the rest is an individual deal. If you liked you fat, you might not like thin living.

12) That the resulting edema means that if I work out, I gain weight, so the scale punishes me for taking care of myself

13) That I would oddly develop pica from the iron loss, and narcolepsy despite drinking 80 oz of coffee a day.

There's a start! ;)

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 7/20/11 6:24 am
Topic: RE: Four year surgiversary
...was three days ago and I forgot. Shows how much I think about it anymore!

We were asked to do a fashion show at our surgeon's, but I don't believe in that-- selling surgeries for how you will look seems like a very bad idea, and I don't want to be anyone's role model because my mileage varied a lot-- nearly croaked, lost to goal, and had no bounceback, and $33k worth of plastics-- so most people ain't gon' look like me--- none of these are typical in my experience, so instead I am gonna stay home and eat my steak, corn onna cob, pumpkin custard, raspberry shake and fudgecicles....and peanut butter fluffernutter! ( I still like to eat!)

In any case, 4 years out. Still kickin'.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 7/1/11 6:40 am
Topic: RE: What's for dinner mah peoples????
Sig Ot bounced back 20 pounds as well. All I can guess is that you all dieted, and I never did. I always had a hunch it messed up peoples' stuffs!

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 6/30/11 10:21 am
Topic: RE: What's for dinner mah peoples????
Dinner #1 is a huge spinach salad with mustard vinaigrette dressing, bacos, chicken and asiago cheese-- now

Dinner#2 will be  a turkey cheeseburger with toppings, mashed garlic cauliflower-- at 10:00 or so

Snacks (I swear I am not making this up) is vanilla yogurt mousse,  2 fudgecicles, an apple, a rice cake with PB and fluff, and a pint of Arctic Zero. The sister can eat!

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 6/24/11 5:13 am
Topic: RE: Does anybody eat peanut butter?
Every single day for almost four years. With marshmallow fluff, on a caramel ricecake. 200 cals a day and I never miss a day.

And I have maintained the 220 pound loss without regain. Moderation is key.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 6/24/11 5:09 am
Topic: RE: A case of DaVinci/Torani syrups for $25 in DelCo PA!
Only catch is you have to meet me in Delaware County PA to claim it. Mostly fruit flavors: raspberry, peach, lime, but also some white chocolate, etc. Make slushies, snowcones, blender drinks-- all are sugar free! Twelve full size bottles! email me at [email protected], since I am scarce these days!

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 6/10/11 1:15 pm
Topic: RE: iron infusions done, when do I start the iron or do I??
It depends on *why* you are anemic. If it's through blood loss, poor diet,  or some extrinsic reason, start right away. But if you are anemic because you cannot absorb oral iron, it's an utter waste of time and money, so I wouldn't bother.

In fact, I don't.

Ask your hematologist.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/21/11 8:18 am
Topic: RE: Before/After Thread!!!!
For the good of the cause, Nik. ;)

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/21/11 4:41 am
Topic: RE: what are you doing/eating today? thursday
Kelly, I don't fall off the wagon--- but I do JUMP off! Then I jump back on! :) I agree, most thinner people are practicing some kind of management of their own-- I think the magically skinny people are few and far between.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/21/11 4:37 am
Topic: RE: Regarding Food Addiction
12 step programs are theistic. I am not. That approach will not work for me, but I don't doubt it's very helpful for many people! People of that mindset should likely check it out!

My form of management is working. Just difficult at times so I thought I'd share the hard part so others don't feel alone..

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/21/11 4:29 am, edited 4/21/11 4:29 am
I dunno-- I don't besmirch others the right to their experiences-- and this is mine. I figure people need to know what they need to know-- and can chuck the rest out the window. Reality is that this experience is hard as hell for me, often. People should be prepared if that becomes their reality as well. I am not in the business of RNY sales, y'know?

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/21/11 4:26 am
No interest. I accept and am managing my addiction, and 12-step programs unfortunately are not generally in line with my religious beliefs.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/21/11 2:40 am
Don't misunderstand-- I eat healthfully probably 98% of the time--- just vent a couple times a year. I love my healthy food, and the brief respites from it always make me come back with greater resolve to eat well. It's part of why I do it-- I know, kinda counterintuitive, but crappy eating reminds me how much better I gfeel when I don't. Did I mention I am a junkie? ;)

I don't dump in any way nor feel any meaningful restriction, so I have to live very differently at times from you and Lith. Same Monkey, different shape. But I'd prefer to be in in my shoes, loving the variety of it all. It's just a little harder work, maybe. "All or nothing" thinking is easier for me, managment is hard. This forces me to work hard and not rely on the mechanics of it all, because they are useless for me.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/21/11 1:43 am
Topic: RE: Beef Jerky as my protein source?
Jerky is a great protein source-- but it's also a ridiculous sodium source-- with very very high amounts of salt in it. It will make it hard to stay hydrated and cause fluid retention if you are prone to it, which will lead to deceptively high "weigh ins." Also, if you do not chew the hell out of it, prepare for the stuckage and foamies-- because early out, jerky's hard on the ol' pouchster.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/21/11 1:34 am, edited 4/21/11 1:39 am
It doesn't stop. Don't think it will, because it won't. Just like alcoholics, once you learn how to *use* food to fix what ails you, it more or less has you for life. RNY will not change that.

I used food as a sedative, and I still do. I have a very twitchy and agitated brain. In The Olde Dayz, I used to consume massive meals that went on all night, and then go to bed. While it helped me to relax, it also made any other activity (watching a film, doing a load of laundry)impossible because I literally could not move. You can see how this cycle quickly gets you to 370 pounds. Well, not that quickly: took 37 years.

What's a massive meal? 20 nuggets, fries with mayo, a quarter pounder with cheese and a large shake. And a pint of Ben and Jerry's. And a bag of Chex Mix. That was dinner, many nights.

After my RNY, I decided to try to desensitize myself by watching The Food Network 24-7. I wasn't a foodee-- I ate utter crap. But instead of becoming desensitized, I became fascinated with food science. I learned to substitute healthy ingredients, and now cook all meals from scratch off the top of my head. It's a creative exploit and keeps me close to my beloved fetish objects.

But the addiction still lives on:

1) I stockpile calories and eat more than half of my intake within an hour of bed. Not a great idea.

2) I wander in grocery stores just to look at food. I often plan to visit stores I know have samples just to have some..

3) If I am in a store and there's a bag of something open or torn, I will take a piece. Gross, but true.

4) When I do cafeteria duty, I often steal a tater tot or pickle or chicken nugget from a tray before throwing it away. It makes me angry but I haven't stopped.

5) In the lunchroom, I physically move cakes and cookies to other tables so they don't "look at me", but in the past few months I have been allowing myself a literal "bite" here and there, and while it doesn't seem to be harming me, the lack of control annoys me.

6) I like buffets because I can get a bite of everything, but most the calories are in my desserts anyway.

7) If I see a Skittle on the floor I have to struggle not to eat it. This is gross.

8)I look forward to the food on holiday more than anything else. I like it more than any other activity, any person alive, and any other thing I know. It makes me happy.

How I manage my addiction:

1) I plan everything, even the vacations from planning. (Anal retentive enough?) This means I don't eat emotionally, as in, "I am sad, where's the cake?" Cake happens at CAKE time, not SAD time. These vacations are pre-planned around holidays-- there's about 6 a year.

2) I eat a lot in the evenings. Gives me "something to look forward to."

3) I chew sugarless gum, and drink an ungodly amount of coffee.

4) I try to stay physically busy even when I can't work out.

5) I work out -- cardio 3x a week minimum, 2 long walks, assorted weights, I burn between 2200-3200 calories every day without fail.

6) I have long, lost weekends where I catch up on my cravings.

7) I don't keep crap in the house.

8) I learned to cook almost anything I want really healthfully. I make cookies, baked oatmeal, muffins, cheesecakes, puddings, casseroles-- all super high in protein and fiber, low fat, low-cal.

9) I weigh every single day. It's actually the best option- it helps you see all the little fluctuations are meaningless in the long term and pounds can't sneak up on you. I record my weights, and aso whether or not I exercised, and what time of month it is. Helps to understand the cycles and fluctuations better.

10) When I am tempted to eat, I wander in stores instead, like Marshall's. I try stuff on, and just visually graze. Ditto for thrift shops and yard sales.

11) I rarely get home before 9:30. Dinner's after 10- a reward for finishing my day.

This is how I manage this mess. Friday nights are still hell-- that was my old cheesesteak and wings single-gal orgy and I miss it horribly. On Fridays I walk the mall until it closes.

Sound lonely? A little sad? It is. Nothing has replaced my food addiction. I am still white knuckling this journey-- every step, every day. It is not and never was easy.

If you knew you were dying of some terminal illness-- what would you want to do....see France? Spain? Fly a plane? I'd shoot out and buy a case of peanut butter and a big freaking spoon. That is me, that is my life. I accept it now, I understand it. And I don't berate myself for it-- I just manage it daily as best I can.

Here's hoping your own journey is smoother and more comfortable. And if it isn't, know that you are not alone. Many people feel this way, few would admit it to themselves, fewer still in a public forum, probably--- but Mama would tell ya I ain't never had a lick of sense, no how. ;)

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/21/11 1:04 am, edited 4/21/11 1:09 am
Topic: RE: what are you doing/eating today? thursday
Doing: Got up early and did an hour on the beach with Gilad (who I can't help but call "Jihad" and that's very very wrong.) Will be writing a project today on educational assessment (YAWN), getting a haircut and waxing my whole face (perimenopause+weight loss=FUR HEAD) and a little art if I have time. Then hitting the Goodwill so I can stock up on tank tops to cut up for Zumba...you know, you get abs, you have to show 'em off like a streetwalker, right? Then Zumba tonight.

Tomorrow we're going antiquing in Adamstown. I plan on an Amish breakfast (baked oatmeal!), whatever home-baked treats suit my fancy, and a heinous dinner at the Shady Maple Smorgasbord--- they have 6 kinds of corn, if that gives you any idea of the spectrum of ridiculous eats. Sig Ot already knows he will be driving home solo as I snore it off: I literally pass out cold. Not sleep, so much as die. Takes about a half hour before I can be awakened. Is this a good idea? Hell to tha no.

We hope to get a little hiking in there too but the weather's unreliable of late. This, BTW, is an officially sanctioned Free Eating Weekend, which will include the buffet, some Zintner's Butter Krak™ eggs, a Reese's PB egg, pizza at some point, and probably a bag of cheese curls-- these are my bad cravings of late. I get 'em all behind me in one fell swoop, gain 2-4 pounds of water (needed to process the mess) and hit the ground running again on Monday. This approach is Radically Stupid, but for four years it's made my life tolerable. I am a food addict and a foodee, and this is how I manage my addiction. You will note I did not say "cure." I will never cure it.

Today's eats:
B: Coffee coffee coffee
L: Caramel chicken apple salad and Fiber Gourmet cheese crackers
Pre workout: Huge coffee/banana protein shake
D: Ground turkey taco meat with cheese,salsa and yogurt on greens
Snacks:
apple
almond butter and Fluff on rice cake
cheesecake greek yogurt
Chocolite bar
another protein shake- prob'ly strawberry cheesecake

As ever, 1700 calories, about 150g protein. I'll spend about 3,000 calories today, I expect. This, for me, is maintenance.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/20/11 4:20 am
Topic: RE: What are you eating/doing today? Hump day Wednesday edition!
Feeling particularly fit and healthy after a craptastic winter.  If I can keep my iron up, I plan to focus on fitness as the rest of my life turns to muck. ;) Little trick I learned from inmates.

The sleep issues do eventually right themselves. I now sleep pretty regularly, midnight to 6:45. Key for me is not to exercise late-- and to drink ridiculous amounts of full octane java all day apparently (I drink 96-120 oz a day, it's insane.) I also literally eat 700 calories within an hour of bedtime. I can suggest that for everyone, but it helps put me out.

Only tip I really have is "To thine own self be true." Even *that* is easier said than done.

Be well!

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/20/11 2:12 am
Topic: RE: Motivational post: Measurements and Supplements!
            BEFORE       NOW
Chest      48H          36C
Waist       55"            31"
Hips         65"            37"
Arms        17"            10"
Calves      23"           16"
Ring          9               6.5
Shoe         9W            7.5B

Supplements:
Cal Citrate   ---2200 mg daily
2 Chewable mega-multis
B6, B12, Folate
Vitamin C
Zinc
Glucosamine/Chondroitin (joints)
Rutin (edema)
Amitiza (script for constipation)
No iron-- I don't absorb it at all so it'd be money down the toilet

How are YOU doing????????

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/20/11 1:55 am
Glad to see you! That menu looks very reminiscent of mine at your stage of the game. How ya doin'?

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/20/11 1:54 am, edited 4/20/11 2:04 am
Writing endless grad projects, cleaning, and working out--- Zumba tonight, maybe a 45 minute video or a longer walk. Will burn 2700+ cals any way you slice it.

B: Cup of coffee with some Click (unimpressed)-- more coffee all day (usually 96 oz)
L: (3 pm) Some kind of big salad with a whole bag of spinach, plus asiago and tuna or maybe chicken salad
D: (10 pm) Massive taco salad with spicy meat, mushrooms, gruyere cheese, salsa, greek yogurt and crumbled protein chips

Snacks:
pint of mint chocolate chip Arctic Zero "ice cream"
8 oz chocolate cherry cheesecake pudding
rice cake with almond butter and fluff
a Chocolite bar
bag of popcorn
apple
bag of Fiber Gourmet Cheez-Its

As always, 1700 calories, one way or another. I tend to eat protein rich meals and higher carb/fiber snacks, which I find sustains my blood sugar and energy pretty well. Rather than fight my snacky nature, I try to use it to my advantage.

ETA: My protein/carb ratio (40% pro/30% carbs) was taxing the crap out of my kidneys so I had to lighten up a tad. While I don't strictly "count" anymore, I still tend to get about 130-150g protein in daily. Don't let words like "pudding" deceive you-- it's greek yogurt-based. But I no longer feel the need to cram protein in everywhere. My body fat's remarkably low, already.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/19/11 1:47 am
Topic: RE: What are you eating/doing today? Tuesday edition!
Hardly "free." I work my ass off.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Jupiter6
on 4/19/11 12:31 am
Topic: RE: You sure you need implants? (X post/pics)
Insurance would not likely cover those in any case, unfortunately. :( I was covered in sores and rotting skin, had clearances and letters from 5 doctors,  was treated for it for years, and blue cross still turned me down.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 382 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 272 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics