allen476’s Posts

allen476
on 1/19/17 1:32 pm
Topic: RE: What could this be? With an introduction.

For now, I have to follow the diet I was given. I am still at the full liquid phase. Anything that can be pureed, greek yogurt, SF pudding, SF jello, 1% or skim milk, 100% fruit juice (only 4 oz. per day).

My diet right now:

Puree's once per day, 16oz. max with at least 3oz or chicken, meat, or fish in the 16oz. Over the course of 1 hour.

Whole Grain Cream of wheat 2tbsp with 2/3 cup milk. Once a day. I am allowed to have grits but hate them.

Greek Yogurt 5oz plain. Once per day. (I usually have this for lunch.)

Pudding 4 oz. for snack.

Water 64oz

Protein shakes. 2 per day. 28g protein in each one. Made with 1 cup milk and 1 scoop protein powder. 1 after breakfast and one with snack.

The purees have been chicken or beef with broth. Maybe some milk. 

I lost 30 pounds in the first two weeks after surgery and 50 pounds in the first month.

You mean I should have lost more? Everyone has seemed very happy with what I have lost.

allen476
on 1/19/17 1:00 pm

Believe it or not, the juice was on the clear liquid phase of the diet for the first two weeks. The cream of wheat is also on the list for the full liquid diet that I have to follow until Feb. 2. It is the whole grain one.

I had no problems with this brand until Monday.

allen476
on 1/19/17 6:49 am

To give you a little background as to how I got here.......

I had a two level lumbar fusion 1/26/2013. Lots of pain and it really never healed right. I was left physically disabled. My weight ballooned from 320 to 425 due to a now (forced) sedentary lifestyle. Every doctor, PA, nurse, and family said I needed to consider having some type of bariatric surgery. 

So in June of 2016 I had the initial consultation for RNY. I was apprehensive. I went to the pre-surgical group meeting in October. I started the dietician monthly appointments that month as well. Due to some other medical issues, I had to undergo more testing to get clearance for surgery. Medicare was waiving the 6 month supervised diet and exercise due to my physical disability. I called the office on 12/13/16 to confirm that I had completed all of the steps required. I was told that she would get it submitted to insurance (Medicare) and I would be able to get it scheduled after the holidays. 

To my surprise I received a call the next day wanting to know if I would want surgery on 12/20 (so 6 days later) due to another person cancelling at the last minute. I said yes after it sounded like I wouldn't be able to schedule it for the end of January like I hoped for. (Note: When I talked to the PA in the hospital, that was the case as the busiest time of the year is right after the holidays)

So I had six days to learn about everything I needed to know, prepare for after surgery, get rid of any food I couldn't have, and buy anything that I needed. Dietician appointments up until then were going over what I was eating then.

Everything after surgery is pretty much going fine. I am following the diet. I did forget about one thing though. Back in November I scheduled my colonoscopy and as luck would have it, it was one month after I had RNY. Surgeon said that it would be fine to have it done. Since I was on a full liquid diet at that point, I figured that it would be best if I did have it done then.

I was very hungry when I got home from being Roto-rooted. Nothing to eat or drink since the night before was tough for some reason. I finally got home and made my bowl of cream of wheat and decided to have four ounces of fruit juice with it to take my morning medicines.

Now the fun part. Later that day I had diarrhea. Just like the time before when I chalked it up to my body not liking a certain brand of grape juice. There is no warning and no other symptoms. Just diarrhea. 

Could this be dumping? I can't figure it out. The juice is 100% fruit juice with no added sugar. Before the colonoscopy, I drank 8 oz of it a day without issue. Now I can't have any.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 476 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 440 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 379 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 105 views
Forum Search Error & 404