hlacy’s Posts

hlacy
on 3/26/12 12:05 am
Topic: RE: Surgery Cost
 Interesting...that seems awfully low compared to what the rest of us has posted. Maybe your insurance doesn't have to play the game...
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

hlacy
on 3/24/12 3:04 pm
Topic: RE: Surgery Cost
There is a HUGE difference between what the hospital bills and what the insurance pays. Mine billed at $58K but got paid $28K. My portion was $2K. The typical payout for most RNY surgery is $25-30K from what I have seen - but, that is for lap, not open, and not including other procedures simultaniously or complications. 

hlacy
on 3/24/12 3:01 pm
Topic: RE: Seasonal Allergies, what are you all taking?
I use Claritin for seasonal allergies as needed, Benadryl every night, and Zyrtec for pet allergies. My PCP says this an especially nasty allergy season and a lot of people are suffering right now as you are. 

Have you tried Allegra again? A lot of people have success with it after taking time off from it.

hlacy
on 3/24/12 5:50 am
Topic: RE: allergy medicine
Typical allergy meds like Zyrtec, Benadryl, Allegra, Claritin, etc. do not contain NSAIDS, so we can take them, unless you have some other medical restriction. Cold/flu meds often contain NSAIDS, so that is what you need to exercise caution with.

hlacy
on 3/23/12 6:52 am
Topic: RE: Am I the only one who indulges in the flavored Greek yogurts?
The only fruit flavored one I have found that I use are at Trader Joes. One is pomegranate, one is mixed berry. They are less than 15g of sugar I believe. Chobani, Oikos, etc. fruit ones are too high in sugar IMO.

hlacy
on 3/23/12 6:32 am
Topic: RE: what brand of calcium do you use? mgs/serving?
I use the Bariatric Advantage Calcium Chews - 2 chews x2 daily, at least two hours apart, then I use the Walgreens brand of Citrical Petites - 250mg per pill, take two before bed. Get my 1500mg daily.

hlacy
on 3/15/12 5:16 am
Topic: RE: What is your favorite protein shake?
I use the RTD Premier Protein drinks in Chocolate and Vanilla from Costco. I mix one with decaf coffee crystals and a flavored syrup every morning. YUM!

hlacy
on 3/11/12 2:07 pm
Topic: RE: Shopping NSVs....
Good for you! I am a week ahead of you and about in the same place - size 16 pants and size large tops. Started out a 26/28 pre-op. Doesn't feel great???!!! :)

hlacy
on 3/7/12 2:32 pm
Topic: RE: Questions about Jay Robb protein powder
I just pulled out my bag and it does not actually recommend an amount of liquid on it. Some of the recipes on the bag recommend 8oz water, or 1 cup milk, or 8-12oz water. The bag I have is chocolate whey. I have never used the Orangcicle, so maybe it runs thinner? I'd like that, actually! I always used the vanilla flavor with some orange Crystal Light.

I agree sometimes little things creep in. My asthma flaring, though rare, seems to get me down when it does. I get irritated I am so fatigued from it and feel helpless laying in bed. But, I am on the mend, and keeping mindful of how I am feeling physically and mentally. Thanks as always for listening...it means a lot :)

hlacy
on 3/7/12 2:17 pm
Topic: RE: Milk Thistle Good For Liver
I had NAFLD pre-op. I am fine now, but I still use milk thistle. It has a great track record and I recommend it. 

hlacy
on 3/7/12 2:05 pm
Topic: RE: Suggestions for messed up sleep/wake cycle?
This is a tough one - I am kind of messed up right now myself from being sick the last few days and tending to sleep later and stay up later. I try to get back on track when this happens with some melatonin or two Benadryl instead of the normal one I take each night. I think Lunesta is similar to melatonin. I only take half of one or I am too groggy the next day.

hlacy
on 3/7/12 2:01 pm
Topic: RE: Quiz on the ASMBS guidelines
1. 36mg (18mg x 200%)
2. 36mg (18mg x 200%) plus addl 18-27mg - 50-100 mg GOAL
3. Citrate
4. Zinc (mineral) plus folic acid (vitamin)
5. Day one after discharge
6. Day one after disharge or within one month of surgery

I have read them well many times to try and understand why my surgeon, the President of the ASMBS, thinks Flintstones are okay :) No answer yet on that one!

hlacy
on 3/7/12 1:40 pm
Topic: RE: I just had a root beer float!
I may need to get some of that to use up the RTD vanilla shakes I have!

hlacy
on 3/7/12 1:38 pm
I also started on Jay Robb (actually used it for many years preop) and have moved onto the Costco RTD Premier Protein shakes for convenience, LOL. Jay Robb tastes much better. I usually just use the RTD when I make a hot protein chocolate coffee in the morning or evening - with some Salted Caramel syrup - YUM

hlacy
on 3/7/12 1:21 pm
Did you use the whey or the egg?

I am a big fan of Jay Robb. They do seem a bit lighter to me. I prefer the egg because of no whey aftertaste. I always mix mine with water, so that probably lightens them a bit more, too.

I hope you are feeling better soon! I have been a bit down myself lately and I am wondering if it's the time of year, the weather, both, or just a normal up and down of this surgery. I also have been experiencing asthma and allergy flares lately so that is not helping either.

hlacy
on 3/7/12 1:18 pm
Topic: RE: Papaya Enzyme
It sounds correct to me. I have only ever seen chewable papaya enzymes, but as I understand they can be found in capsules. Chewing them breaks them down so they can quickly go to work to help break down or loosen dense items. They help work in place of digestive enzymes. They always work quickly for me (luckily I have only had to use them a couple times)!

hlacy
on 3/7/12 1:13 pm
Topic: RE: alcohol after RNY
I am almost seven months out and only recently tried a bit of wine for the first time. I do not dump on sugar. I will likely stay away from liquor for quite some time, and the two sips of beer I have tried were awful so I won't be doing that any time soon either. 

Each surgeon has their own ideas and recommendations on alcohol. I recommend discussing with your surgeon and then ultimately the decision is up to you.

hlacy
on 3/7/12 1:07 pm
Topic: RE: Quick question re post op pain
Even at just a couple weeks out, you can have weird pains like this. Could be gas, could be from sleeping differently, could even be muscles moving that you have not moved in years! I know one of the largest surgical lap ports was on my left side, and one incision on that side too a lot longer to heal than the others. I honestly don't remember when I was totally pain free, but it was probably about a month? It sounds like you are doing well - keep it up!

hlacy
on 3/6/12 11:40 pm
Topic: RE: HUGE clothing lot (26W) for sale. Any takers?
 Agreed - try eBay. I am making a ton selling my old clothes on there as we speak!

hlacy
on 3/6/12 6:16 am
Topic: RE: Getting back on track...
I snack on Original Shredded Wheat Bite Size on occasion if I want something carby. It's great fiber, and very filling. I just don't keep the bad stuff in the house, which is my biggest help. 

hlacy
on 3/5/12 5:28 am
Topic: RE: Tell me what you see wrong?
This is my typical day at almost seven months out:

B - egg whites, lean ham or Canadian bacon, some cheese and salsa OR a protein hot chocolate/coffee with chocolate protein (RTD or powder), instant decaf coffee, water and a SF Torani or DaVinci syrup - obsessed with Salted Caramel at the moment!

S - either a Greek yogurt with some SF jam or SF Torani syrup, or some Perky Turkey Jerky

L - usually a salad with grilled chicken (first) and a light dressing not high in carbs (sometimes I mix some ranch and a light fruit based dressing to cut the carbs)

S - almonds, more jerky, a medium apple or pumpkin seeds in the shell. Depends on what I have on hand at work usually

D -  typically a lean meat with a small amount of whole grain like quinoa or brown rice and some veggies. Often I skip the whole grain and just have a lean meat and veggies, like a chicken or shrimp stir-fry.

S - a SF popcicle or SF pudding. Sometimes I will have about half a cup of plain shredded wheat bite size if I am cravng carbs - it has a decent amount of fiber for the carbs. I may do a protein shake with SF syrup and ice if I am low on protein for the day.

I am getting at least 75g of protein a day, and keeping my carbs as close to 50g as possible. 

hlacy
on 3/5/12 5:16 am
Topic: RE: Random Poll o' the Week: I got the POWER!
I don't have to feel bad about the friends that have dropped me since surgery or make bad decisions in their own lives if I don't want to. And nobody can make me!

That's been such a hard part of this surgery. I feel like some people were only friends with me before because I was the "fat friend" and made them feel better about themselves and their bad decisions. It's taken me a while to realize that it has NOTHING to do with me! 

It's been my boss, co-workers and people in my social circle! But, I now know who the genuine ones are - and I love them all the more for it!

hlacy
on 3/5/12 5:06 am
Topic: RE: Pre-Op and "The Last Meal" Yes or No?
I did several last meals of foods I knew I would likely never eat again or not be able to eat for a very long time. It helped me prepare for the reality of what was coming. I don't really miss those foods. I did pasta, burgers, pizza, Mexican, etc. 

Many people are against last meals - but I think it depends on you. It was a fun way to let my attachment to food go. I spent many fun meals with friends and family in the "last meal" process. That's what I remember, not the food itself. 

hlacy
on 3/5/12 5:01 am
Topic: RE: corn nuts
Too many carbs and not enough protein IMO. You should focus on protein snacks at this point. What does your surgeon and RD/NUT say?

• Nutrition Facts

• Serving Size
  • 28g
  • Servings per Container about
  • Amount Per Serving
Calories 120 Calories from Fat 40

% Daily Value*
  •  Protein 3g

hlacy
on 3/5/12 4:58 am
Topic: RE: Cold meats okay at 1 month??? Turkey, ham, etc
I ate oven roasted chicken and turkey deli slices with cheese at one week post op.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 134 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics