Marathon Girl

Patty D.
on 7/12/04 2:06 pm - St James, NY
Hello everyone, I had lap band on July 6th and I found the lap band board but just discovered the running area. I was a serious runner before gaining quite a bit of weight. I have run 2 marathons (quite slow) and I was about 180lbs at the time. I definitely want to get back to running once my weight has come down some. Now I am power walking to keep aerobic conditioning up. I have around 90lbs to go before I am at a goal, but plan on getting back to running as soon as I get below 200. Has anyone done any endurance events after wls, I am very interested.
Christian A.
on 7/18/04 4:27 am - Keizer, OR
Congrats to you! I have just started running a little bit; but have done a 56 mile bike ride 9 months after surgery. You need to make sure you are completely hydrated.
Rachelq
on 8/10/04 12:37 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hi Patty! I ran two marathons too at 175lbs. I also ran several halfs and 10ks. I'm looking foward to getting back to it. I'm gearing up for a 1/2 marathon in January and then a full in a year from now. I've got two small kids at home, so I can't push as hard as I would like, but at least I have some long term goals to look foraward to. Rachle
Patty D.
on 8/10/04 9:41 am - St James, NY
Hi there!, nice to get your post. What two marathons did you do? and what 1/2 are you planning on? After my power walk, I ran 1 mile today and I felt wonderful. Well, wonderful that I could do it, but winded since I have only been walking. Are your kids small enough for a stroller? I have no children (fertility issues) but pushing a baby jogger always looked like a heck of a work out!! I am planning to jog a 5k in the end of Sept. My Dr said as long as I feel up to it there is no physical limitations. I am down 18lbs since banding and have 13 to go to get under 200. Ah "Onederland" as they call it. I am hoping running will help me reach my goal faster, but my real goal is to do another marathon next year. There is nothing like when they put that medal around your neck, I personally sob like a child but I know a lot of grown men who do also. Good luck with your training, keep me updated. Patty D
Rachelq
on 8/10/04 9:52 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
When I ran my first marathon, my first son was two. We put a lot of miles on the old runner then. He's 7 now and my youngest is three. So the younger will be in the runner and the 7 year old on a bike. We'll see how that goes. My next 1/2 is going to be a local event in irvine, ca and then I'll be running a full in Long Beach, CA. I have run the Long Beach and the San Diego Rock 'n Roll in the past. A group on the California board is running the honolulu in october. Too soon (and to hot and hilly for me). My only fear witht training is that i get so hungry!!! i gained 15lbs training the last time. Hope it goes better this time. Getting close to your first goal...alright! I'm pretty new to the 100's. I'm down to 191. Two more lbs and I'll be in the half century club! Keep me posted too. Rachel
Patty D.
on 8/10/04 10:14 am - St James, NY
I did Marine Corp, in 99 and 00. Inspired by Oprah, ya know. My husband is a very competitive runner/triathlete. I have some concerns on eating once I start to log miles. I get my first fill on Thursday and I will be back on liquid and mushy food untill I can go on to soft food. Frankly I know it's to help me heal but I get so tired with out a balance of food. Your boys are 7 and 3, oh do you have your hands full. No need to train, you are propably burning up the calories just chasing the three year old around. I belong to several running clubs here and some members have done the RocknRoll, I have always wanted to do the San Diego 1/2, it always has such great write ups in the running mags. Have a great night! Patty D
Patricia D.
on 8/20/04 10:22 am - Philadelphia, PA
I WANT TO RUN. I'm 3 weeks post op. . . .I want to run! I used to run when I was a kid, but haven't. I'm already down under 300. Any suggestions you girls can give me to get started? I'm starting to do power walking right now. . .i'm upto 20 min 2 times a day so far. . . is that good? What about shoes? I have new balance. . . .I also walk on a nature trail to get some air. . .except when it's nasty hot. Have a good night. Patti D ;) hehe patti d patty d.....hehehehe
Patty D.
on 8/22/04 10:42 am - St James, NY
Hey PD!! I have been off the board but just got your post. Lace up those shoes and get on with it. Keep with your walking program and when you feel up to it throw a little jog in. Pick a goal, like I will jog to the stop sign and as they say "just do it" Running is not only a great exersize, it gives you unbelievable peace of mind, I call it my road therapy. Remeber to stretch out after each walk, to keep youself injury free. Good shoes are essential,you need stability, new balance is a good brand, but any shoe that feels good and fits is good. I get mine at a running store where they size you. I am back logging miles as of this week, I am running 5k distance with out stopping and even though it's slow (11 min) pace I feel like a million bucks!! My long term goal is a marathon in April. Since I do most of my running alone, I use a polar heart rate monitor to coach me. I find it's a great tool to keep me honest about my pace. I hope you are enjoying your work outs, keep me posted on your progress. Patty D
tammym
on 9/9/04 7:43 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12
Hi Patricia! If you want to run, I'd suggest starting on a treadmill, and alternating with walking...after warming up with a 10 minute walk, run one minute, then walk 2 minutes. Gradually decrease your walking time and increase your running time. I did this last year for 6 months before running (EVERY STEP!) of a 5 mile race. I hope to run the marathon next year. This year I didn't train, so I'll be walking the 5 miler, with a few minutes of running mixed in of course! I'm so glad I found this running forum! Tammy
Lance G
on 12/24/04 7:45 am - Palos Verdes, CA
Hi Patty -- Small world, I ran the 2000 US Marine Corps Marathon as well. I thought is was very well organized and would love to give it a go sometime in the future. However, last night I read a book on ultrarunning, i.e., 50 and 100 miles events. While my heart tells me to go for it -- I just don't think I have the energy to do long distances any longer. I ran 12 miles the day befor yeaterday afterhaving eaten on 240 cal's all day. I just could not complete my planned run of 20 miles. Anyway, have you done any distance sunning since your WLS? In Health, Lance
Most Active
Recent Topics