My running update

Larakatya
on 7/17/05 3:08 am - Twin Cities, MN
Hello my friends, I really did it this time. By "it" I mean pushed my self healthfully beyond my own boundries into the next level. This morning was my first of 10 "long" runs - longer than my customary 5k that I've gotten used to. Today I ran 4 miles for the first time in my life. It started out, I paced myself. I run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute for recovery with my running club. I kept myself hydrated and was chatting along. I was feeling great right up to the 5k, then I hit a wall. Suddenly the great run I was having started handing me my a$$ as a hat. My stomach wall got UBER hard, and it felt like I couldn't sweat enough - although if you notice a tidal wave at the Calhoun rigatta today . . .that's from the sweat I dripped off running around it today. My run club leader was SO supportive, and helped me through it - we dropped pace just a smidge, and she started giving me 15 second interval statuses on when I was going to get to start walking for recovery. I pushed through it, finished out my last set of running - and coming up on that piece of sidewalk that marked my 4 miles ran felt like a piece of heaven. I started crying tears of gratitude that I'm alive and healthy enough to take on such a physical challenge. I could never have done this a year ago - and I pray that I'll be in this shape or better every day going forward with my life. Wednesday night I'm in the Torchlight 5k for the Aquatennial, and next weekend - 5 miles baby. With love and respect to all no matter where they are on the journey, ~Lara -212@goal on the Maintain Train (or perhaps running along side it. . .just trying to keep pace!)
MaryS
on 8/11/05 2:09 am - Long Island, NY
Lara, Wow - that is a powerful post. Congratulation on getting through the run! It is such a great accomplishment. I know what you mean about the tears of gratitude. I did the Long Island Corporate Challenge on 7/26. I did the 3.5 miles in 52 minutes (walking and jogging). I almost cried coming across the finish line because I have come so far since my surgery. I also beat the time I was hoping to make by 3 minutes! Mary 302/202/1??
Most Active
Recent Topics