Old Salt Going Back to Sea

Greg H.
on 8/17/04 9:57 am - Battle Creek, MI
I was A US Navy Diver back in the early 70's. My last Dive was a recreational Cozumel Island dive in the 1980s. Obesity took over and I stopped diving. I am on track for WLS probaly in October. One of dreams is to be able to do some recreational diving again. Maybe next summer!!
Ameta H.
on 8/17/04 1:48 pm - Chatsworth, GA
Hi Greg, I have been diving for several years, all of them as an obese female with a love of the ocean. I had my lap RNY 10/30/03 and have lost to date 156 pounds. I went diving back in June and it was a wonderful feeling not to need a boatload of weight to sink my fanny. I went to Little Cayman ( boy was it truly a divers paradise!! ) and found that even though I was in a 3mm wetsuit I was still cold. I have always been able to dive in nothing but a diveskin in the Carribean, not anymore. I also found that I needed to drink more water, as is common in diving, and had nowhere to put it without getting nauseated so I spent much of the trip dehydrated. I was in bed early every night (8:30pm) so that I would get enough rest to be able to make the morning dives. I will say that I did all 17 dives in those 5.5 days but I was sooooooooooooooooo tired that I don't know if I could have made another one. I am a hardcore diver, but the decrease in calorie intake that comes with WLS and the small pouch limiting the amount of water that I could drink at one time sure gave me a challenge. I can't wait to go again but I might not feel the need to do EVERY dive the next time.... then again maybe I will. I love it so much !! So you should definitely be looking forward to diving next summer, just know that your body may throw you a few curves. A.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Scuba Board
2sailaway · 1 replies · 407 views
new to the board
celestia96 · 1 replies · 345 views
4 days out of G Y Bypass
zlynnc · 0 replies · 320 views
snorkeling question
kristyb · 3 replies · 389 views
how is it with everyone
ownop · 1 replies · 340 views