Dive trip scheduled in Jan

JoyCook
on 11/13/05 5:21 am - Little Rock, AR
I have not been diving in the 2 years since my surgery due to family responsibilites, but I have a trip scheduled in January to the FL keys. I am so excited... BUT... I just realized I have an incisional hernia. It does not hurt, but the bulge is about 2". The problem is that my WLS doctor, who I would want to have do the surgery, falls off my insurance Jan 1. So, I am trying to schedule it for the week after Thanksgiving. (I'll find out Tuesday). That will give me 6 weeks to heal before the dive trip. If I put my gear off and on in the water, do any of you divers think I can manage it without tearing up the repair? (I am 53 years old, down to 145 lbs, and in otherwise excellent health.) I heal well and will definitely work out as much as the doc will permit after the surgery. Just wondered if anyone here had been through this... Joy
jenafwife
on 11/14/05 2:38 am - Blue Ridge, GA
Hi Joy, Everyone heals differently and I feel that I heal pretty well. There is no way I could do a dive at just 6 weeks out, but... I had the full panni and hernia repair. I also had developed a seroma and hematoma. But I see ppl on the plastics board that are up and going in just a couple of weeks. I had to put off my cert because of developing a hernia and I was afraid it would get strangulated during a dive. See as it is only a hernia repair then your Dr just might give you the go ahead. Jen PS now Im sure there are several of us that can go in your place
JoyCook
on 11/14/05 10:58 pm - Little Rock, AR
Thanks, Jen! I am hoping this is much simpler than a TT would be, but then, I've been wrong before! I go to the doc to schedule today--We shall see what he says... Happy bubbles... Joy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Scuba Board
2sailaway · 1 replies · 406 views
new to the board
celestia96 · 1 replies · 344 views
4 days out of G Y Bypass
zlynnc · 0 replies · 318 views
snorkeling question
kristyb · 3 replies · 389 views
how is it with everyone
ownop · 1 replies · 340 views