How did you know when you no longer needed your CPAP?

steve D.
on 7/19/10 7:49 am - West Fargo, ND
Maybe this is not the right place.  I am at a point where I have quit using my C-PAP after 10 years.  My wife says I no longer snore and I seem to sleep fine without it.

How did you decide?

Steve

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/10 3:59 pm

You should get yourself rechecked.  They can give you a take home test.  I'm starting to realize I'm sleeping better w/o the mask.  I've been rotating on and off the last couple of days.
UOduck98
on 7/28/10 3:57 pm
I'm giving myself 50lbs before trying to sleep without the mask as it seems it was just after that when I gained the weight that I started having sleep problems.  My nutritionist said it was a good idea to wait, and then to get rechecked. 

A lot depends on which type of Sleep Apnea you have (is it only obstructed airway? or central sleep apena?) and how your throat, mouth is formed.  I happen to have a smaller jaw with less room and that coupled with being over weight caused my obstructed airway sleep apnea.

If your wife says you no longer snore, and you're feeling fine in the morning and have no other side effects you may as well be retested to be 100% positive you don't need it anymore.

Here's to hoping you're sleep apnea free!! 

Top Weight:  264 // Information stage: 254  // Day of surgery: 238 // Two weeks post-op: 232 // first checkup 229.9 // current 205.5

Mishelle R.
on 8/8/10 12:41 pm
Snoring is not an indicator for sleep apnea.

Instead of waiting or spending the money on an expensive sleep study overnight test I will tell you what works. Contact your DME provider, or your doctor, you will need a script.I found it easier to contact the DME provider and have them get the script for a week auto pap trial. Then they can download the data and see what pressure your averaging. If you no longer need a machine, then your pressure will be 5 or under. Since sleep apnea is a deadly thing, its best to play it safe. PLUS if your not sleeping properly your metabolism will tank, and if like me, its already tanked from being overweight for years. I figure why make it worse.

Hope that helps.
Lex87
on 8/10/10 3:04 am - Green Bay, WI
 I'd have to agree with UODuck98, if you've been aiming to lose weight and have done so successfully, that's a good time to consider if you need the CPAP still.

My DH's issues were clearly weight related as he's been sleeping some nights without help from the CPAP. The odd and frustrating bit is that he's now messing with my sleep as I have a hard time adjusting to the lack of noise/extra noise from the exhaust vents on his mask. I've got a sound generator (marpac sleepmate 980a)on order now that should help. (I hope!)

I know he's a stubborn fart who hates his CPAP and I supported him trying to work himself away from it, but Mishelle makes a good point about being cautious.. I'll have to have a word with my man when he gets home tonight. :)
Lex87
on 9/28/10 3:42 am - Green Bay, WI
Woohoo! I got my Sound Oasis!  Hubby is determined to get off the CPAP so I am now using my lovely sound conditioner (marpac sleepmate 980a)!  Its just a low white noise that sets my head at ease and lets me relax without having to listen for that infernal CPAP! 

I don't think my man has lost enough weight to be off the thing, but i cannot spend my life nagging him.  Someone told me its good for getting colicky babies to sleep too, and since we are expecting it may come in handy in new ways!
southernlady5464
on 1/10/11 6:22 am, edited 1/10/11 6:22 am
While it's true that the not snoring is no longer an issue if you've been diagonosed, it is a good place to start.

My husband had his surgery 3 weeks (30 lbs) ago and while we never truly believed he would come off the cpap, we did hope. Well, the other night, I went downstairs and he was already asleep ON his side without his mask. Normally I wake him up enough to make him ut it on before I go to sleep. But that night I noticed something, he wasn't SNORING. So I let him be to test it...

I did notice during the night when I woke up and caught him snoring, he would be on his back. I did tell him to roll to his side, he did and it would stop.

So, while he is back to using it, he will be asking for a new study when he sees his neuro in about 6 weeks to be re-tested. By then, he will have lost more weight and we should know if he can come off it or just lower the settings. If it's just lower the settings, we will try again when he hits goal weight.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active