Can't breathe in the CPAP Mask

chubblynomore
on 8/12/10 12:01 am - Canada
My nose gets all stuffed up, and after a while breathing from my mouth becomes very uncomfortable.  Any suggestions?
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/10 5:33 pm
Hi, I had the same problem. Dr suggested a hudifier for the CPAP itself. It is an add on to the CPAP. Also each time I begin to use the CPAP I use saline spray in my nose to moisten it.
If you continue to have problems with your mouth opening there is a elastic band you can order. The band goes under the chin to over the head. It takes awhile to get use to the CPAP and chin guard but it is well worth it. I have had my CPAP for 10 years now and cannot sleep without it. Tests showed 31 apenas per hour. 
Hope this helps.

Shana16
on 2/9/11 12:41 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Even after you have lost weight?
 LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

Mishelle R.
on 8/16/10 2:28 pm
breathe right nasal strips. when I get stuffy, such as allergies or a cold i'll wear this with my cpap machine. _ just a thought. also put the tubing under your covers.. that helps if you have condensation build up in the tubing if you are running with humidicty
SleepDr
on 9/1/10 2:41 pm, edited 9/3/10 8:31 am - NY
Hi,
I am sleep physician can try to help. Do you know what your humidification level is set at? It is a dial from 0-5. If you feel stuffy, you need to bring it down. If you feel dry, you can increase the level. You can adjust the humidifier until you find a level you are comfortable with. If you still feel stuffy on a level of 1, you can turn it off or do not pour water in the humidifier. Hope that helps. If you are in NY Metro, you can join our Free Monthly Sleep Apnea Support Group at Slumber Services(slumberservices.com) Sleep Lab.
Most Active