Help?

Excited4Life
on 10/21/10 1:55 pm
I had a sleep study last night..it was okay. Like most ppl, I was really uncomfortable and couldn't fall asleep. I left hoping I never had to do that again. :)
This afternoon a lady from the sleep study doc's office called and said I tested positive for mild sleep apnea. She said they wanted me to come back for an overnight CPaP treatment. I told them I would rather speak to my doc first and go from there. This is where I get confused and would appreciate it if someone could help me out. Like I mentioned, she said it was a mild case. She said that insurance require a 5 to cover costs for machinery and that I had a 8.5, That's all she said really. Does that mean that I stopped breathing 8.5 times during the study? Is it on a scale or is it not a scale. So, for example, someone has to stop breathing 5 times during their study for the insurance to cover equipment costs?

I am hoping my surgeon will allow me to wait until after my surgery before wanting me to schedule a second appt.

Thanks!!!
LadyPao09
on 10/25/10 10:16 am - Miami, FL
I am in the ame boat as you. As far as I knoe you need to go to the second appt. Your Dr will requiered you to have the machine for the surgery. Ask you surgeon.

Good Luck!!!
Mishelle R.
on 11/6/10 2:45 pm
you will need cpap treament before gastric surgery. that 8.5 could be how many episodes you are having PER HOUR. not the entire night. you stop breathing enough that its cause for concern. the follow up night will have you on the machine to know what pressure to set you up for. If they are calling you back, you _need_ treatment.

For me, I slept so poorly during the first night they couldn't put me on the machine. Normally if you have had enough episodes they will wake you about 1 or 2 am and put you on the machine. I too had to go back for a second night to find out the level of pressure I needed.

IF your not sleeping, your metabolism is in the tanker, and if thats the case loosing weight is near impossible. Do what you can now to help your health.

Well, thats what i say, follow your doctor's advice, I'm just someone on the internet LOL
Most Active