Coming off the CPAP for good

JordynsMommy
on 2/28/11 8:20 am - PA
VSG on 05/10/12
Has anyone successfully come off CPAP after losing weight? One of my goals is to come completely off CPAP.
dwpersel
on 3/1/11 12:40 am - Fredericksburg, VA
There are 4 postings just on page 1 of this forum where people have been able to stop using their CPAPs.
Mishelle R.
on 3/17/11 2:40 pm
I didn't go off mine - I went from a 12 pressure to a 7 in the year post op - and still at a 7.
dwpersel
on 3/18/11 12:32 am - Fredericksburg, VA
And I went from 8 to 12! ( The opposite direction...go fig!)

Tooty
on 5/24/11 3:54 am - Germantown, TN
I still use my CPAP, but not every night.  I use it about 2-3 times per week.  I can definitely tell when I need to start using it again...I get sooo grouchy/*****y!!!
Cathlena - 39, 4'11"   Start - 210  3/31/09    BMI  Start: 42.4    
 LilySlim - (OdX3)
MISTERMOM
on 6/28/11 7:37 am - MD
I use a bi-pap and have severe obstructive sleep apnea. I just went for a repeat sleep study (almost 4 months post op) and down 76 pounds overall. It isn't gone. I have to go back for a re-calibration soon.

=    
Deena S.
on 7/30/11 1:32 pm - Odessa, TX
I went off mine 1 month before surgery because of some weight loss.  I have done great with it since surgery! I'm so greatful to be free from that "thing"!!!

Deena
Top weight 240 pounds
Lap band surgery March 21st, 2011
Start weight 201
Weight on July 30th-162 pounds
Goal weight 125-I'm half way there!

msamore
on 9/25/11 11:23 am - McClure, PA
Deena, I'm glad to hear you got off of yours. I'm just 10 days post-op, and looking forward to stopping it. How do you know when you're ready? I was thinking of going without and just ask my husband if I'm snoring. I hate to go through another sleep study to see if I don't need it. I didn't mind it at first, but it is getting annoying, and I am having trouble sleeping anyway.
 Polly         
ShrinkingNerd
on 10/26/11 6:40 am - CA
I am pre-op now using an auto-titrating CPAP machine.  A doctor I consulted about it recommended using a recording pulse oximeter to measure oxygenation of my blood both WITH and WITHOUT CPAP.  Looking forward to going off the CPAP post-op sometime, but just asking my wife to tell me whether I snore is probably insufficient to determine WHEN to go off the therapy.  You can use the recording pulse oximetry in your home and get actual measurements, in addition to how you feel and the "bed partner says I snore" report.  Seems like a good idea to me.  Found some at my CPAP supplier, http://cpap-supply.com, and I am sure there are others, and you can get one from a local respiratory equipment company as well.  Thanks!  Good question!  Be well!

tamara55
on 10/7/11 3:39 am
I went off mine at 8 months out. Switched to a Somnoguard dental appliance and am doing very well with it. I went from a pressure setting of 12 to a 7, then on to the mouth guard. CPAP's are wonderful things but aren't comfortable for everyone and I just didn't like it.
Most Active