Does anyone use a mouth gaurd instead of C-Pap?

Shanneee
on 8/6/11 3:50 pm - MN
I tried the Cpap and it didn't work for me so I was switched to the mouth gaurd that moves your jaw forward increasing airflow.  It has worked great for me but I haven't met anyone else who uses it.  I'm curious what the best transition off the mouthgaurd would be...

S

MEZ
on 8/29/11 12:47 am - Wilmington, NC
Hi,

I use a TAP III appliance and love it.

I have mild (don't have the numbers with me here) OSA, and a 6-year-old who still ends up in my bed quite often, so didn't really want to go with CPAP if I didn't have to.  I had seen the TAP appliance at my dentists office and my pulmonolgists agreed I could give it a try.

So far, so good!

I am still waiting approval for my RNY, so can't give you any guidance on coming off.  I'd guess you'd want to do another sleep study to make sure your OSA has resolved with your weight loss?

Ellen
tamara55
on 10/7/11 3:30 am
 Yes, after losing 75% of my weight, my apnea improved to the point of being borderline. Since I didn't do well with the CPAP, I went with the Somnoguard Dental appliance and love it. I was wearing a nightguard anyway for bruxism so this was an easy transition. Much more pleasant than a CPAP!

Oh, and when we determine I no longer have apnea, I'll wear it anyway for the grinding. It's very comfortable.
move2lose
on 1/3/12 9:46 pm - Australia
My doctor mentioned this too me, is this something that you have custom made or is it an off the shelf type thing?  I had the Cpap for several months, but cannot tolerate it.  Still have OSA tho:(

VSG: 20 April 2009  HW: 246lbs   Surgery: 224lbs      CW: 175lbs     Goal: 143lbs   

PCOS, Hypothyroid, Sleep Apnea, Fybromyalgia, former diabetic.  5'1" & 41 years old

Most Active