Just brought my CPAP home...

NolaRendezvous
on 9/8/11 7:46 pm - NC
So I've been using it for 2 nights....I'm waking up in the middle of the night with my mouth wide open & totally dried out.  I've never been a mouth breather - and didn't breath through my mouth during my 2nd sleep study using the CPAP....what's up with that - is it part of getting used to this thing?
dwpersel
on 9/9/11 7:32 am - Fredericksburg, VA
Yes, it is part of getting used to it. It took me almost a month to sleep correctly with the CPAP.
NolaRendezvous
on 9/10/11 11:07 am - NC
Thanks for getting back to me.  I'm taking it 1 not so enjoyable night at a time.  UGH!
dwpersel
on 9/11/11 9:42 am - Fredericksburg, VA
I found that it was easier to get used to it by lying down as if for a nap and using it in short spurts. The eventually I workede up to longer nights without taking it off in the middle of the night.
NolaRendezvous
on 9/11/11 8:26 pm - NC
It's actually gotten a little better.  I'm staying asleep for longer and when I do wake up its not for a dryed out mouth.  YAY for that! 
Jody H.
on 9/15/11 10:20 am - Des Moines, IA
 You can get a strap for you chin to keep you mouth closed if you still find you are having problems.   It worked for me.   I did not feel beautiful - but I did sleep better.  ;-) 
Most Active