Nasal pillows rubbing me raw, HELP!

LuckyLibrarian
on 10/8/11 12:57 am - Plumerville, AR
I just got my CPAP about a month ago, and am using the Swift FX for her nasal pillow mask. My nostrils have seriously gotten raw and painful. I figured that I would get used to it eventually, but after a month, no dice.

Do the nose masks cause irritation/rawness?

Thanks,

Kristen
"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation." - Walter Cronkite

ND2BTHN
on 10/9/11 2:42 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Hi, I also have the same issue with the same mask. I can't use my nasal pillows or nose mask. They both drive me insane! My pillows, don't fit right, because I have one nostril smaller than the other, and they are skinny ovals, not round, so the silicone really irritates me on one side mostly.

Can never keep it on long enough to fall asleep, b****ep trying to adjust it till I get fed up, and take it off. The nose mask is heavy and combersome and hurts the bridge of my nose, since I have a large wide bridge.  I hate anything touching my nose area and even hate the weight of my glasses on my nose. It really is frustrating and can't use my cpap at all due to this.

I found a new cloth mask, that is supposed to inflate with air and has no silicone or heavy plastic parts, except the tube area, but don't want to invest the money in it, if I won't need it much longer anyway. 

Some people say to lower the humidity level and that helps with the rawness, but mine is on the lowest level and I still can't stand it.

Try doing a search on a cpap website regarding this issue. They may suggest an ointment you could use that won't affect the silicone. Good luck.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
Marycanary
on 1/19/12 5:15 pm - WA

The sleep center that I go through for my CPAP supplies told me to check out "Ayr gel" with aloe.  I personally have not tried it, but it is relatively cheap and safe enough to use on babies.  No prescription needed, but I guess you have to ask a pharmacist for it.  Worth the try if you have soreness from nasal pillows.

Most Active