sleep apnea and pulmonary hypertension any hope???

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/12 5:57 pm - CO
I was diagnoised with sleep apnea and at the same time saw the pulmonologist who then diagnoised pulmonary hypertension. I have the shortness of  breath and edema but was under the impression that a lot of this was due to my obesity. This was 2+ years ago. Since then I have struggled with the CPAP. I have tried every mask and no success. I am EXTREMELY claustrophobic and have finally fallen asleep a few times with it on from sheer exhaustion only to wake up having pulled off the mask(even when I taped it to my face). I then tried the BIPAP and full face mask that was suppossedly supposed to help with the claustrophobia. EVEN WORSE. Through it all I have actively tried to increase my diaphram breathing and used my oxygen religiously. Now I over hear two people in the doctors back area talking about Pulmonary hypertension and the life expectency rarely being over 3 years. I am devestated. I have looked online and find a varying array of Short life spans. I am in the last steps of approval for GSV; thinking it would hopefully help my sleep apnea, need for 24 hour oxygen as well as other things. I have always felt I had a good relationship with my PCP and Pulmonologist ....now I wonder if I was wrong. Is all of the work with GSV worth it if I may be staring at a death sentence? Yes I do have a call in to my docs..but..... Sorry to rant I am really worried I have a big family and need to know so I can prepare myself and them(if that is possible).Anyone out there with Pulmonary Hypertension???Good or Bad I have found OH forums to have the most knowledgable people.So HElp.
Sutterbos
on 9/19/12 12:51 pm
VSG on 06/21/12
 I don't have pulmonary hypertension, but did struggle with the mask Cpap.  I finally went with prongs - much easier to sleep and not claustaphobic.

And within a month after surgery, I didn't need Cpap at all anymore - sleeping through the night!

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/12 5:25 pm - CO
 Sutterbos....I have never heard of the "prongs" for CPap or BiPap. Do you mean the type that you use with oxygen? I have tried the little nasal pillows that fit into your nostrils but those really bothered my claustrophobia; plus you had to try to keep your mouth closed with those and it made my ears pop. I would love it if it was as easy as just the oxygen type nasal cannuals. I was always told you had to have a mask that sealed in order for it to work. Where did you get the "prongs"? Thanks for your information.
Lupie007
on 11/13/12 2:56 am - Canada
On September 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM Pacific Time, Sutterbos wrote:
 I don't have pulmonary hypertension, but did struggle with the mask Cpap.  I finally went with prongs - much easier to sleep and not claustaphobic.

And within a month after surgery, I didn't need Cpap at all anymore - sleeping through the night!

i just posted this Sutterbos...maybe you know an answer?

Background - I am 40, have Lupus (autoimmune disease) which gave me a lung disease. I can absorb about 60% oxygen of a 'normal' person. I do not wear oxygen anymore since my situation has greatly improved. When i sleep, my absorption falls. btw - BMI is 40.

So I do a sleep study at HRRH (during hurricane sandy!). Of course they see my levels drop, now Glazer wants me to do a 3 night test at home to measure my oxygen levels. i know how that is going to turn out.....low oxygen intake. To my knowledge no sleep apnea, although tech said i did snore (but not like a big old trucker snore), my hubby says its more like a soft purrr.

So my concern is that he will boot me out of the program! I know im probably jumping to conclusions, but im freaked out. The reason i am at 60 and not 80 is because of my weight.......takes a lot of energy for lungs to push my chest up if its heavy! My respirologist is always nagging me to lose weight and I see him next week anyway. People - at 40 BMI i would be considered a relative lightweight for WLS. Dont tell me other people dont have lung issues?? I have never even smoked. Cant they just put oxygen on me during surgery? Whats the big deal???? Anyone have a similar experience? What was the outcome?

The ones that say "you cant" and "you won't" are probably the ones scared that "you will"!!

(screw the haters)

Lupie 007

CW 255 5'7  Dr Hagen  VSG  January 28, 2013

Sutterbos
on 11/13/12 3:59 am
VSG on 06/21/12

Hi, Lupie,

I don't have an exact answer for you because every surgeon is different.   However, I do know for a fact you will be intubated with a breathing tube during surgery and they can increase your oxygen intake all the way to 100% if needed.  (the air we breathe in the room is 21% oxygen).  They'll be concerned about you after surgery as well, but again they should be able to monitor you and increase oxygen if needed.  Just make sure to have a long talk with your surgeon about the issues before surgery so they know how best to take care of you.

Melinda

Lupie007
on 11/13/12 4:07 am - Canada
Thank you Melinda!
Most Active