Pulmonary Clearance

Another Fatone
on 6/14/13 12:31 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

I am going thru the clearance process for r-n-y bypass surgery. Tues is my pulmonary appt.

I had sleep studies 8 and 5 years ago. They said I had sleep apnea eventhough I was tested on my back and I can not sleep on my back. I am a side sleeper. 

I was fitted for a CPAP again 5 years ago but never used it because I could not fall asleep with the mask or nasel pillows.

I guess the new pulmonary Dr will order more sleep study and cpap. 

Will this be a show stopper?

TurnThePage
on 9/12/13 12:55 pm

SLEEP APNEA IS SERIOUS.  It is not just a matter of being tired during the day. Apnea can cause permanent HEART DAMAGE such as congestive heart failure or if there is underlying heart disease already, even a sudden cardiac event (heart attack). Apnea can also cause STROKE, high blood pressure, liver damage, memory problems.  It can put you at HIGH RISK DURING SURGERY and interfere with medications. For more info, check the Mayo Clinic website.

If you cannot sleep comfortably with the mask, try nasal pillows or other types of masks until you find one that works for you. Be persistent.  DO NOT give up using the machine. I found it helped a great deal to have the machine set to "ramp up", that is start at a low setting and then increase over 15 minutes so I was asleep by the time it hit my ideal level. 

Ask your doctor to specify an AT HOME SLEEP TEST. You will receive a small bedside machine with a couple of connectors you wear. The machine records your sleep and breathing patterns and is returned the next morning. The information is downloaded and sent to your doctor for analysis and diagnosis. Much more comfortable than an in lab test and more reflective of your normal sleep patterns.

Another Fatone
on 9/13/13 10:52 pm, edited 9/13/13 10:52 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Hi

I did the home study. I got a bipap auto. I got the RNY.

My ENT Dr told me I would not have OSA if I were to loose weight.

What do you think?

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

Another Fatone
on 1/22/14 7:14 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

UPDATE

I have lost 77 lbs and I still have some OSA. I just got a good deal at thecpapshop.com. I bought a BIPAP Auto out of pocket....eventhough I have Medicare.  

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

Rob_455
on 2/17/14 9:18 am

Good Job on the weight lost !!

Most Active