So I'm not dying or lazy?

Heavy Duty00
on 11/6/13 11:19 pm, edited 11/6/13 11:24 pm

This gastric bypass is already making my life better and I haven't even been approved by insurance yet. My doctor requires a sleep study of all of his patients during the pre-op phase. The pre-screening checklist sounded all too familiar.

I've been through 11 years of feeling like a zombie. Every day I have brain fog, bad memory, slightly dizzy, eyes droopy, waking up and basically wishing and waiting until time to go to bed again so I can try to feel rested. I've been through sooo many doctors and tests. Nothing. But after hearing about sleep apnea I am convinced this is it. The sleep study confirmed that I have obstructed sleep apnea. I get fitted for my mask next week. My doctor said the difference will be night and day. Hopefully my life will change and I will be alive again. The "life" I've been living for the past 10+ years has been crap. 

Can someone tell me about life after being on a CPAP? How did you feel before and after?? Did you feel something like how I described? My doctor also mentioned weight loss (i nthe process) and surgery to remove big adenoids. I'm down for removing them if I don't need them and don't feel "gray "all the time.

Thanks guys

iwannabethin
on 11/7/13 11:03 am

I have been on CPAP for about 9 years. I can't say that I wake up singing every morning--I have never been a morning person, but I am wide awake when I head out to work and do not get sleepy during the day. After you start using the CPAP, try sleeping without it for one night-- you will definitely notice the difference!

iwannabethin
on 11/7/13 11:05 am
amz37
on 11/16/13 2:23 pm - PA

I too am in the pre op phase. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea through testing. I have been using a CPAP machine for about 6 months. Also to add I am a 21 year old college student. Though it is not the most fashion forward device I have noticed such a large improvement. My grades have improved and so has my energy. I used to miss class a lot because I COULD NOT keep my eyes open. I am so grateful. However there are some cons. I tend to toss and turn before I go to sleep and the tubing gets in the way. And it takes a little time to get used to the air. I use the nasal pillows and the only issue I have with that is that I have noticed some acne from it. However my dermatologist gave me acne medication for it. It also rubs against my upper lip but I fixed that. What I did was i cut up an old t shirt and cut two holes in it to place over the nasal pillows through and then it stops the rubber from rubbing against my upper lip. 

Being diagnosed with sleep apena and getting my machine improved my life so much. I no long state that "i am tired" 30 times a day, I have more energy to do the things I love and have even found some new activities that I love. 

Please let me know how it works out for you!

Most Active