CPAP compliance

charminglearner
on 10/6/14 6:38 am
RNY on 10/27/14

The last time I remember using my CPAP machine my stomach swelled, it was full of air.  It was painful and woke me up. So the doctor's office turned the pressure down, but the next time I felt like I was short of breath as I was trying to sleep.  

Now I'm looking at this machine that I have to use and bring to the hospital with me.  Ugh.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to avoid a stomach filled with air?  Or even what could have caused that?  I'm worried about getting bariatric surgery and blowing out the stitches or something when using the machine.

Seems silly as I write it, but I am concerned.

bellamorte17
on 10/6/14 10:33 am
VSG on 09/10/14
On October 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM Pacific Time, charminglearner wrote:

The last time I remember using my CPAP machine my stomach swelled, it was full of air.  It was painful and woke me up. So the doctor's office turned the pressure down, but the next time I felt like I was short of breath as I was trying to sleep.  

Now I'm looking at this machine that I have to use and bring to the hospital with me.  Ugh.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to avoid a stomach filled with air?  Or even what could have caused that?  I'm worried about getting bariatric surgery and blowing out the stitches or something when using the machine.

Seems silly as I write it, but I am concerned.

I would suggest asking for the cpap to be set to an automatic setting. Also, I brought my cpap to surgery expecting to wear it immediately but the doc recommended against it. I only began using it agajn 3 1/2 weeks after the procedure.  Tslk ti your surgeon to ask their recommendations.  

lo_ri_p
on 12/24/14 10:34 am - Ocala, FL

When I went to the bariatric support group we discussed this.  It is really surgeons preference to use in the hospital or wait 3 weeks.   If your doc wants you too use it.  I am going to try mine tonight now that it has been 3 weeks today and people have told me I have not snored.  I have been tired for the passed 3 days and waking at night.

lo_ri_p
on 12/25/14 4:18 am - Ocala, FL

I used my cpap for the first time since surgery last night.  I woke up at 2:20 am with a horrible feeling in my stomach.  Eventually after letting out gas (both ways) I finally got back to sleep.  It will be a while longer before trying it again.

charminglearner
on 10/7/14 1:26 am
RNY on 10/27/14

Three and a half weeks after the procedure makes a lot of sense.  I'll ask the doctor.  Thank you.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 10/9/14 5:44 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I had to use mine at the hospital right after surgery. I was told if I did not bring it they would send me home to get it. Since I lived an hour away I brought it.

charminglearner
on 10/9/14 10:50 pm
RNY on 10/27/14

Which hospital was this?  I'm at Humber in Toronto.  I do live over an hour away, so I guess I'll bring it. Thank you for your response.

charminglearner
on 10/29/14 1:25 pm
RNY on 10/27/14

Well, I brought it and I used it.  My oxygen levels were still low so they added oxygen and that was fine.  

So glad that stage is over.  I hope the sleep apnea goes away!

lo_ri_p
on 12/30/14 11:12 pm - Ocala, FL

Me too definitely.  I just found a mask that fit a couple of weeks before my WLS consultation.  I was not even thinking about losing weight in my face.  The one night I used it since surgery it leaked so badly that I woke up in pain from all the air in my stomach.  I am going to try again this week but with my mask I don't think it will work well.  I'd rather not have to us it at all.

Most Active