When does a wls patient get off the cpap?

roseygirl
on 12/23/14 2:20 pm

Anyone know if it's around a certain body fat % or x number of months. I hate using the cpap (because I'm lazy to prep it daily) but I def still need it. Wondering when I will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

VSG Surgery 10/02/14

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

lo_ri_p
on 12/24/14 10:24 am - Ocala, FL

I hate to tell you but not all people need cpap because of obesity.  There could be other reasons you may need it.  The best thing to do is ask your pulmonologist or the doctor that handles it for another sleep study.  I was told not to use it for three weeks post-op which is tonight.  I have had family members check and they have not heard snoring however I have been tired the passed few nights.  I will try it tonight if it helps I will wait a little longer until I lose more weight to talk to my pulmonologist.

roseygirl
on 12/24/14 11:54 pm

That's a bummer. I have snored and not slept well since a teen and I was only 20 lbs overweight then. Oh boy... I've been going without and I'm so tired again during the days so I'm getting back to using it. Thankfully my settings auto adjust between 4-12 so I don't have to keep going to the doctor for adjustments. 

VSG Surgery 10/02/14

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

lo_ri_p
on 12/25/14 4:24 am - Ocala, FL

I did not know that they could autoadjust I may have to talk to my doctor about that.  I tried mine for the first time since surgery last night it did not go well.  I woke up at 2:20am and I know that my stomach must have been full of air because after letting go of some gas I felt better.  I am not trying that again soon

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/30/14 12:31 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Yes it is called a tiltration (SP) cpap. I have one it reads what pressure you need and adjusts accordingly.

lo_ri_p
on 12/30/14 10:59 pm - Ocala, FL

Thanks.  I will talk to my pulmonologist.  Hopefully I won't need it at all but that is good to know.

horrible_monster
on 1/25/15 12:59 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

Yeah, not to be discouraging but I've never gotten away from the machine entirely. My pulmonologist said I was ok to experiment with not using it, but I feel much better when I do. When I don't use it for several days consecutively, I start to feel foggy and garbagey and whatnot. But I will say I feel I get more benefit from the machine at ~165 pounds than I did at 250+. 

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

CalliopeAnn
on 1/17/17 1:33 pm
VSG on 12/21/16

I got my CPAP at 403lbs and my doctor didn't even mention my weight. He looked in my throat and told me it looked really narrow and that he wasn't surprised I had such a severe case (its outrageously severe, had 110 apneas in one hour!). I actually don't mind my CPAP at all. Its been such an incredible life improvement for me traded for relatively little inconvenience. I may end up needing it even when I get down to my goal (5 weeks out from VSG now). If I can get rid of it, that would be cool, but I'm not going to be super bummed if I still need it.

Most Active