Pierced nostril + CPAP mask = ?

horrible_monster
on 1/25/15 1:10 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

For the last nine years I've been pining for a nostril piercing. I'm finally in a place where I have a secure job that won't fire me for coming to work with a facial piercing, and where we can afford something frivolous like this without feeling super guilty about it. 

...but: sleep apnea. I can get away without using my machine every single night (with my pulmonologist's permission) but I do need to use it more often than not. Is adding a nostril piercing to the mix the worst idea ever? 

Anybody have any experience with facial piercings/jewelry and CPAP/APAP masks and whatnot? 

(I'm two years post-op and I think my apnea has improved as much as it's going to.)

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/15 1:23 am - Portland, OR
RNY on 05/04/15

I've put CPAP on plenty of patients with nostril piercings and had no issues. If you use a regular nasal mask or a full-face mask, there shouldn't be any issues at all. If you use nasal pillows, you might need to switch to a nasal mas****il the piercing heals, but I've had plenty of patients with nostril piercings who use nasal pillows without any issues. Just be careful not to snag the stud on your bedsheets!  

Trueblue2life
on 5/3/15 2:45 pm - Tenino, WA
RNY on 05/20/15

I've been using a CPAP for quite some time and I have a nose piercing. It makes no difference to me at all. I use the nose pillows and I sleep just fine.  Go for it!!!  I hope that helps. 😴

E_Saenz
on 7/27/15 3:33 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

You might check and see if you can get a mask that goes over your nose instead of in it I use to have a mask with nose pillows I now have one that goes over my entire nose now and I love it!

Elia Maria Saenz

Most Active