Sleep Apnea and the mouth piece...

cabin111
on 6/30/15 10:11 pm

Going on 9 years out (RNY).  I've had 2 heart attacks over the last 15 years.  All my blood work is good...Just saw the cardiologist today.  I've gone in for a sleep study with another doctor.  I have mild sleep apnea.  I have tried the CPAP...I can't wear it.  It feels like I am choking.  Tried and tried.  Even just the nose ones.  With the nose ones it feels like I have a cold.  I'm in fair shape; 215 pounds, rode my bike 5 miles today...I turn 60 in 40 days exactly.  Good blood pressure and pulse.

Anyways...The doctor will try the mouth piece.  Am waiting for the referral out to the dentist.  Has anyone used the mouth piece...Thoughts??  Good and bad, I'd like to hear from you...Thanks, Brian 

MaronitaMay
on 7/14/15 12:20 am

I, unfortunately, could not handle the CPAP, BI-PAP, nor mouth guard.  For me, the problem with the mouth guard was that I felt like I was choking on my phlegm which as you can imagine was quite uncomfortable.  If you do decide to try the mouth guard; be careful about where they decide to send you.  My sleep doctor referred me to a dentist who wanted to charge me 4k when my own dentist was able to make it for a couple hundred dollars.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/8/15 7:38 am
VSG on 12/06/12

They have a new device you can get surgically implanted in an outpatient procedure. It is not being done near me, but maybe it is around you. Here is the website. https://www.inspiresleep.com/

AlanaHolt4
on 2/9/16 10:14 am

Is the mouthpiece for sleep apnea or snoring?

cabin111
on 2/9/16 1:46 pm

If you have sleep apnea you probably snore somewhat...

AlanaHolt4
on 2/10/16 5:00 pm

The snore guard does not help sleep apnea only snoring. Right?  I have heard of snore guards but never sleep apnea guards.  

Most Active