Difference in surgery apnea vs. no apnea?

MaraFaith
on 9/9/15 8:07 am - denham springs, LA

Hi guys! I've recently suspected that I have sleep apnea, and this has started to worry my friends and family. I had already scheduled an appt with a weight loss surgeon, however, he does not preform surgery on patients with a risk for complications. My mother is afraid if I go with another doctor and move forward with the surgery that I will die if I'm undiagnosed with sleep apnea and actually have it without knowledge. 

So my question is, how did having sleep apnea change your surgery? Did you have to wear your cpap machine during surgery, or did the surgeon monitor your oxygen levels in a different way during the procedure? 

HW:362 SW:345 CW:287 GW:170 Surgery Date: 11-11-2015 with Dr. Bellenger

Reicken
on 9/10/15 9:42 pm - Victoria , Canada

I have OSA and I didn't wear my machine during surgery. I did however wake up with it on in recovery. You will most likely take your CPAP into surgery with you. The anesthesiologist will monitor your blood oxygen levels and everything else while you are under. That is their job. The surgeon just has to get the work done.

Take care of the OSA first. Regimented use of your machine will reduce the risk.

Good luck!

HW: 330 | SW: 300 | 1 Mo: -27 | 2 Mo: -12| 3 Mo: 0 (stalled!)

Surgery Type: VSG - Dr. Malik @ Royal Jubilee Hospital (2015/07/27)

MaraFaith
on 9/11/15 9:52 pm - denham springs, LA

Reicken, thank you so much for replying. I know the sleep apnea board moves a little slow, so I feel so lucky that you commented. I'll definitely follow through and get the sleep study as a just in case sort of thing, but sharing your experince made me feel so much better. Thanks again!

HW:362 SW:345 CW:287 GW:170 Surgery Date: 11-11-2015 with Dr. Bellenger

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/15 8:10 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

70% of obese people have sleep apnea, so it certainly won't disqualify you. In fact, it's one of the weight-related comorbidities that some insurances use as justification for WLS in the first place. You certainly can die from untreated sleep apnea (surgery or no surgery!), but that just means your doctor will make sure it's adequately treated (i.e., you're wearing your CPAP religiously) for a period of time before surgery. My clinic requires a 30-day compliance check. You won't wear it during surgery because you'll be intubated, but they'll probably put it on you in recovery. It will be especially important to wear at home after surgery too since pain meds will further decrease your respiratory drive.

I wore CPAP for a few years, but I just had another sleep study, and my sleep apnea has actually resolved with the weight I've lost, so my machine is now my husband's travel one, lol. It doesn't happen all the time, but it certainly can. I think I just lucked out by still having s little bit of youth on my side.

lking
on 10/18/15 10:24 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

If you suspect you have SA why are you not seeing a sleep doctor to get tested/treatment? Discuss your concern of possibly having SA with your bariatric surgeon. If you have not been tested, your bariatric doctor will probably have you take a sleep test before scheduling your surgery. If you do have SA, you need treatment. You will be able to speak to the anesthesiologist prior to your surgery to discuss your needs, concerns, and any problems you have had in past surgeries. I have always used my BiPAP during surgeries. Usually the anesthesiologist will put the oxygen tube inside my mask. I always have my mask/BiPAP on during recovery as my oxygen levels seem to like to drop during recovery.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Most Active