Distilled water? Coughing at night.

rce884
on 9/12/16 4:42 pm, edited 9/16/16 11:05 am
RNY on 09/05/17

Hello, 

I am having some problems with my cpap. i have avoided using it for about a year, but i know i have to use it before they will let me have the surgery. so i have been spending the last few nights with it on. i make it to 3 am (ish) with disrupted sleep, and then i wake up coughing. i don't know why this is. maybe because i have not filled the water tray? do i need to fill it with distilled water. i am disabled and it takes a lot to get to the pharmacy never mind haul a huge bottle of distilled water home. ( i use a cane so it is already one handed and lopsided) can i use regular water? do you think that would help the coughing? anyone? i am sure some of you had problems at the beginning. any advice is adored. thanks. 

Rce884

An update. i made it two nights till 5 am with it on and then i took it off and threw the nose piece across the room. but still it was great i didn't feel discomfort or anything no coughing until about 5 am. then last night i put it on at about 9pm and read for a bit. but i noticed that i was making small snoring noises. and that sometimes i had to take a big breath with my mouth (i have a nose piece) and then when i finally took the device off at 10:30 i was really lightheaded and dizzy as if i hadn't received enough oxygen? any ideas, should i stop using it until i see someone. can you alter the pressure on a cpap yourself?

any help appriciated

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

MTS31801
on 9/19/16 8:01 pm

I have a Bi-Pap machine which takes distilled water and oxygen(2ltrs). I wear a full face mask too. My apnea was so bad that my doctor thought I was going to be considered COPD for life. After six months with my Bi-Pap my blood gases were normal again and my doctor was ready to dance a jig when he go the results. it's to the point now that I can't fall asleep without my Bi-Pap now. It has really made a big difference in my quality of life.

I would talk to your sleep doctor. Tell them the problems your having with your machine. It could be something as simple as needing a new nose mask or a clogged filter. Also the reason for the distilled water is because the flow of air traveling through your nasal passages trends to dry them out. This could also be a reason for your coughing. I would want these problems solved before surgery. I would also wear your C-Pap every night until your told other wise. My surgeon told me to bring my machine with me when I come for surgery. I hope this helps! 

Kath L
on 1/30/19 9:11 am

I went onto the sleep apnea category on here and wonder how you made out?

I just had to have my mask replaced and cannister. My cannister had some pink mould by the looks of it inside of it. The CPAP person said that's because I don't always use distilled water. So, yes distilled water is important. And the water in it keeps the air moist. You might be coughing from the air being too dry.

I don't think the CPAP can make you lightheaded or dizzy. It's not an oxygen machine. It's just pressuring the air it puts through it, which is the air in the room. See your doctor if you are lightheaded or dizzy because you may have something else going on.

If you are not sleeping through, let your doctor know. They will tell you if you need to adjust the pressure and what to try.

Hope you are doing well though.

Referral: Feb 14/17; Processed: Apr 28/17; Hamilton Orientation: July 24/17; Pre-Nutrition: Oct 27/17; Re-Do Hamilton Orientation: Apr 29/19; Pre-Nutrition: May 17/19; Nurse: May 29/19; Blood work: Aug 2/19; EKG: Aug 1/19; Allergist: Aug 15/19; Abdominal Ultrasound: Sep 4/19; Dietician: Sept 9/19; Internist Dr. Taboni: Oct 10/19; Social Work: Nov 06/19; Endoscopy Consult: Nov 08/19; Gastroscopy: Nov 21/19; Meet Dr. Gmora: Dec 4/19 Pre-Op and Surgery Class: Jan 09/20 Surgery: Jan 13/20 OMG they moved it up to Jan 06/20

rce884
on 1/30/19 9:43 am
RNY on 09/05/17

Thank you

I'm now off the CPAP and pleased about that. I was never very good about being on it. I hope someone checks this pa st and sees your great advice and it can help them.

Cheers

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

Most Active