Trouble with comfort

wlwav
on 3/2/04 1:21 am - Pine Hill, NJ
Hi all. I was diagnosed with Sleep apnea about 3 weeks ago. I have the CPAP machine now. Can anyone tell me how do you get comfortable at night while wearing this mask? I am having the hardest time getting used to this thing. I wake up to find that I had thrown it off sometime throughoutthe night. Please Help!!!
GrannyLaLa
on 3/4/04 6:16 pm - South,, AR
I'd post this on one of the main forums. Doesn't look like this forum is alive yet!! I don't have a CPAP but maybe you need to change masks? I know there are more than one type and the one you have might not be the right one for you. Good luck!
wlwav
on 3/4/04 11:54 pm - Pine Hill, NJ
Thank you for responding to my post. I will definitely look into the different kind of masks. My pulmonologist recommended this mask for me, I go to see him in a week or so I will talk to him about the different kinds of masks. Thanks again. Linda
GrannyLaLa
on 3/5/04 1:23 am - South,, AR
You are so welcome. I had a sleep study done and am waiting for results. Wish they'd call soon! I know that some have to use a nose mask instead of the full mask. I sure hope you find the right one soon.
Margo M.
on 3/5/04 7:29 pm - Elyria, OH
linda...i didn't really have trouble getting comfortable- i sleep on my side so my side of my face is on my pillow- i just learned to "snuggle" my mask into the side of my pillow-kind of put the pillow as a "surround" and it holds the mask in place well- tonite i have a headache and had to get up to use saline mist-hard to sleep with the mask when i have clogged sinus! do you maybe have the mask pulled too tightly? that will cause mucho discomfort!
Iris D.
on 3/13/04 11:50 pm - Massapequa Park, NY
It might definitely be the mask. From what I was told by the Sleep Study Center. There are various types of masks available. I'm a restless sleeper, but with the weight I usually sleep on my back or side because the mask fits me pretty well. My trouble is with the hose. It's fairly long & gets tangled and caught in my comforter. Any suggestions?
njwampler
on 3/20/04 11:18 am - Abingdon, VA
Linda, I was diagnosed with sleep apena almost two years ago, that's what started my journey here. The mask did take a little getting used to, but it gets easier as time goes on. Only occasionally do I find mine on the floor. Initially I had to have the doctor give me a sleep aid (Ambien) to help me go to sleep in spite of the mask. That might help. Just don't use them too long. If Tylenol PM works for you that might be sufficient, but ask your doctor first. Good luck! Nancy
Tom
on 3/27/04 7:02 am - Warren, MN
I also have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. Do you use a nasal mask or a full mask? When I went to have a sleep study done, they pushed me to use a nasal mask. I about climbed the wall. It was very uncomfortable. I then tried a full face mask and that did the trick. My wife teases me that she is sleeping with an ax murderer, but besides that, it helped me calm down and sleep peacefully. I hope maybe that will help.
Kennyo1965
on 4/8/04 5:04 am - Huntsville, AL
Linda, I myself was just diagnosed with severe sleep apnea 3 weeks ago also. The doctor told me I quit breathing on an average of 60 times in an hour, talk about scaring someone to death!! WOW! At first, I found myself waking up with the mask thrown either in the floor or across my partners pillow (Im teased about the mask, He says it's like sleeping with Darth Vader! LOL) One thing that I learned is to sit up when fitting the mask (mine is a full face mask) dont lay down. Start with the *****lower) straps and work your way up, dont over tighten them. The strap on top of your head is one of the main things that can make it pull and be uncomfortable, make sure it isnt very tight. ALSO, daily cleansing of the mask helps remove the oil from your skins, and helps the mask adhere to your face. Also, there is a little clip that attaches to the top of the mask and helps pad your forehead....I WORKS WONDERS!!! I am now sleeping WITHOUT the aid of ANY sleep inducing medicine.....for the first time in 7 years! Now all I have left is to complete the surgery and I will be a totally new man! I feel SO much more rested! Good Luck
wlwav
on 4/8/04 8:54 am - Pine Hill, NJ
Hi Kenny, Thank you for responding to my post. I am now starting to get used to the mask. I do find I sleep so much better with it on. And the next day I do not feel tired at all. It is unbelievable. Now I just have a problem with remembering to put it on before I fall asleep. I like to lay down for a couple of minutes and get relaxed before I put the mask on, sometimes I fall asleep too soon and forget to put it on. The only problem I am having now is it is drying my throat out and I wake up coughing through the night, someone told me I should tell my dr cause he can order a humidifier or something to use with the machine. I guess I will have to ask about that. When is your surgery? I don't have a definite date yet, I was told sometime in July. Well take care and hope to hear from you soon. Linda
Most Active