Cpap Machine

Carol T.
on 4/9/04 11:53 pm - Lawrence, MA
I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago with severe sleep apnea, I have been using the mask everynight. My problem is I am sleeping less then I use too, I am only sleeping 4-5 hours a night. I find the mask most uncomfortable and I do tend to rip it off at night! My machine has a humidifier, but I find I wake up because the mask is full of water! I can't get comfortable enough to sleep. IF I try to sleep on my side (my preferred way) the mask leaks. Also since wearing the maks I have a moist cough that I can not get over. Any ideas what am I doing wrong? I went back to the Sleep Doctor and he told me I am not sleeping enough for the cpap machine to work! I can't make myself sleep. I do not feel any better actually I feel worse. Any ideas or comments would greatly be appreciated! Thanks Carol
tammie R.
on 4/11/04 5:08 am - broken arrow, OK
My name is Tammie. I am a registered sleep technologist in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Your humidifier my be set to high if it is heated. That may be the cause for so much moisture. I don't know what brand you use. We use Puritian Bennett set at 2. As far as a mask, try a breeze mask. It uses nasal pillows that rest right in your nostrils and helps eliminate leaks while sleeping on your side. I use this myself and awaken not even realizing I have it on anymore. If you have anymore questions. email [email protected].
Carol T.
on 4/13/04 7:32 am - Lawrence, MA
Thanks for your reply, I went back to the sleep doctor and he did turn the heat from 3 to 1, still no help it is still filling with water?? I asked for another mask and he said there wasn't one, can I get from someone else? He also yelled at me and told me I am not sleeping enough to have the maching work, I am averaging 4-5 hours a night but that is all I have ever slept? Thanks Carol
Janie N.
on 4/15/04 11:45 am - sanbornville, nh
Hi Carol, I too was diagnosed just about 4 weeks ago. I was having a problem with the wetness as well and I was told just to take the humidifier right off. I was also given a head gear that fits on the top of your head because I am a stomach sleeper. You could probably find it at a pharmacy. When you are looking, it almost looks like a baseball cap and the tube goes over the top of your head and down your back area. It made such a big difference for me. If you need, I will find out exactly the model number of the head gear. Just drop me an email. [email protected]. Good luck, Janie
gendotte
on 4/15/04 1:28 pm - Shawnee Mission, KS
Carol, I have used a Cpap for over a year, and have never used a humidifier. I say get rid of it unless you have serious drying out problems. Also you got good advice about using nasal pillows. The hospital folks call it the Klingon Device since that's what it looks like on. This is the best long term way to sleep. Don't worry too much about your sleep patterns until you get the correct head gear. I hope to lose the thing in a few months, after I go post op. Mike
Carol T.
on 4/18/04 12:26 am - Lawrence, MA
Thanks for the reply, I got rid of the humidifer, but my doctor won't switch the face mask , Getting rid of the humidifer has helped. I also found out that my blood pressure medicine (lotrel) has a side effect of a cough. Stop the lotrel and the cough is alomost gone! Thanks for all the advice, I do still want to get rid of the face mask but that is a battle for another day! Carol
Lee58
on 5/4/04 2:46 pm - Redding, CA
Hi Carol, Not sure if my input will help but i will say it anyway... I was diagnoised with severe sleep apnea 6+ years ago and i have had different machines and masks..The masks have been most uncomfortable and annoying.. For the last 3 months now i have been using another one, which is new and i like it more than ANY of the other ones.. It is called "Breeze" it goes over the head and you have little nasal pillows that go in to your nostrils.. I was told that for someone that tosses and turns it would not work, well i do and it works and i like it much more.. Maybe give that a try.. Just thought i would share, God Bless, Floralee P.S. i also have a humidifier which also helps with it for dryness..
Melinda H.
on 5/10/04 6:48 pm - Bend, OR
I have been on c-pap for years and i tryed about every mask they had before i found one that worked it is a gell mask it has a better seal so air does not leak out and i have a humidifier because i live in a dry area it is a must but if i fill it to full i get drownded so try putting less water in it and turn down the number it heats on i sleep on my stomach and side and this mask works great with a soft cap head gear and my docctor told me you would feel more tired as your body adjusts and I would feel worse before i felt better and that is pretty much how it went. stick in there when you do get used to it you will feel 100% better good luck.
Irene M.
on 7/1/04 12:07 pm - Plano, TX
My name is Irene, I work for a sleep lab. You should contact the lab that did your sleep study. They should be able to help you with your problem about the mask. The next thing you should do is contact the company that gave your your machine. The DME company has to help you with this problem. Irene
Most Active