what does this mean????

k29acosta
on 4/22/04 6:48 am - roseburg, OR
I got the results of my sleep study and this is what it said I mean I understand I have sleep apnea but to what extent hopefully someone who has had this for a while will be able to help total recording 432.0 min sleep a efficiency of 76.4 % sleep onset latency was 11 min and REM onset latency was 129.5 min arousal index was 27.4 of which 13.3 was classified as respiratory. sleep architecture revealed 91 minutes of wakefulness after sleep onset. Sleep stage percentages were otherwise normal respiratory analysis revealed 84 apneas of which 69 were central and the rest obstructive and mixed.(what does mixed mean) she exhibited 115 hypopneas. Apnea/hypopnea index was 36.2 A low 02 value was 77 from a baseline of 94.5 Review of the hypnogram revealed REM-related 02 desaturations, especially while the patient was supine. IMPRESSION: This polysomnogram is consistant with obstructive sleep apnea although there are significant central apneas as well. Rem-related desaturations are noted, especially with the patient in the supine position. A CPAP titration is recommended I mean I know I have to have the CPAP but how severe is the sleep apnea and what does it mean I have two different types someone help to explain I know I am going to call my doctor but just wondered
Donna L.
on 4/24/04 9:17 pm - MS
LOL I dont know. Mine was 200 apneas in 7 hour period and I was classified as moderate.
CuteDonna
on 4/25/04 11:14 pm - Effort, PA
Best person to ask is your Doctor or the sleep apnea Doctor. I was told I stopped breathing 117 times in an hour. When I went for my second sleep apnea test they explained it to me in better detail. I have obstructive sleep apnea. I stopped breathing like 17 times totally and the rest where obstructive enough that I almost stopped breathing. Read this, it explains some what. http://www.sleepapnea.org/geninfo.html#defined Donna
Tammi G.
on 5/17/04 11:16 pm - Barrie, Canada
i wish i could give you some answers. all i know is that i was told i stop breathing 10 times an hour ( 2 to 4 seconds ) and in rem sleep i stop 30+ times an hour. i was told i had severe sleep apnea. tammi
Irene M.
on 7/1/04 12:04 pm - Plano, TX
I hope you contacted your doctor and that he hanswered all your questions. Please feel free to call your sleep lab, they should have someone there to explain everything to you. Irene
freshgrape
on 7/14/04 5:06 am - Oneida, WI
I have sleep apnea. I have of yet gotten the surgery yet. I have thought about wls twice and decided i try it on my own. I also have RA- rhumetiod arthritis. Scine i was six years old. I just found out two years ago that i had sleep apnea after i started getting really tired. The DR. named a number of things (inculding sleep apnea) but never really looked into it. Then i was waking up every morning with horrible headaches or more like migranes. When i kept making appointments with my dr. to tell him i was feeling worse and that i pucked and my head feel like it was slpitting open. For a good number of months they treated me for migranes. It was finally when i told the dr. i wasn't getting any better and the headaches weren't going away. That he started narrowing it down and said well maybe it could be sleep apnea. But he never would check into it. And told me to have my mom watch me sleep. Well we tried that but it wasn't workable my mom had to work and didn't have time ot the skills to be able to see if there was something wrong with me. It got to the point i had to harress my Dr. to the point that i wanted him to do the sleep study he had metioned and see if that is what was making me sick. Finally all my *****ing paid off and i checked into the hospital ..i didn't think i had it. After they desricbved it to me. But i was feeling so horrible that i was hoping this was what it was so i could start feeling better. Well im a light sleeper. WHich i found out was from waking up to often in the night and not going into a deep sleep b/c of the apneas. I slept only 4 hours and 2 sleeping pills later. They said i have moderatly severe obstructive sleep apnea. And only 2 of out all of them were central apnea. i had the full apneas mixed and so on so forth. I just share with u the little that i know about it. There are two kinds of sleep apnea Obstructive which is when something is PHYSICALLY blocking your airway and u stop breathing. If can be from the fat in your throat to the your tongue falling back and blacking to your sinis playing a part. Now Central sleep apnea is when your mind MENTALLY doesn't send a singal to your body to tell it to breathe. The wiring in brian is mixed up.Though they said you had obstructive it seems like little over half is central. And even though ive only had two in my own. I don't know anymore about then that i think they have to take medication along with the cpap. The other things your report was disscusing was the sleep patterns you have. Like REM. Because you need to be alseep for awhile before you go into the restorative and deepest part of your sleep. Us apnea ppl are delayed into going into that stage because were being woken up to many times from the apnea...when u stop breathing. This is what causes us to be so tired. When they were talking about your desautrations when your lying in the supine postion there talking about the amount of oxygen blood levels you have in accordance to the postion you were laying in. Proably your back. So what they were saying was that they noticed more eposides of nonbreathing and the oxygen in your blood drop when your laying on your back. Also when they said that When they said you had a 77% compared to the 94.5 baseline. This is the part i worry about in myself. Because it talks about amount of oxgyen in your blood. Which is apnea is so dangrous. The oxygen in your blood should be around at all times witin a 100 % of oxygen. The sliding scale of going down no more then 95 or 94. Ifr your blood is not oxygen filled at all times. It could kill you or cause major damage. to your heart. When we stop breathing our oxygen in our blood drops down to 77 %. Which is to low. Even holding are breaths till we turn purple can only bring our oxygen down to high eighties or 85. So there just saying that your blood oxygen sigfingantly droped. to a what i consdier a dangrous level. I just know that its very hard on your heart. And that without almost 100% oxygen level that its toxic to your blood not be oxygen rich. So i hope this helps. Thanks for hearing me out. i do into tomuch detail sometimes.
Most Active