Sleep Apnea Diagnosis

teresa R.
on 4/23/04 9:14 am - philadelphia, PA
I was diagnosed in 1998 with sleep apnea, the same time I was diagnosed with diabetes. This year I took the sleep study again, after not using the Cpap for a while.. It was the first time that I ever understood what the results meant, and it scared me. It was noted that I had 642 bouts of apnea in 7 hours of sleep, meaning a total of 83 bouts per hour of cessations of non-breathing that lasted for 29 - 46 seconds at a time. Scary That is too many times to stop breathing in an hour and in a night. Also My oxygen level was as low as 35% during my sleep time, as opposed to 100, not good at all. The other things I learned, now I know why so many times I wake up gasping for breath, needing water, making a funny noise in my throat because it is dry, I was told that was proabably part of the obstruction, my esophagus is not working properly due to the apnea. Also, I've been suffering from acid reflux, a funny long burping, I didn't understand this was from the apnea, now I do. I was told that I only enter into level 1 sleep, which is light sleep, could have fooled me. Never deep sleep, It was too much that I understood this time, all the more reason for me to look forward to the surgery. I fall asleep at any time that I sit still or relaxed within 5 minutes, it doesn't matter where I am. I have missed my stop on the trolley and public transportation before because of this. They have told me that I should not be driving. Let me hurry up and fix this problem. It also doesn't help I have major sinus problem, and it is uncomfortable in the cpap when I can't breath this is why I don't like to wear it, I will have to change that method, but I hope they can help me with my sinus problem. I hope this information helps someone to understand their information better. Teresa or too pooped to pop.
Irene M.
on 7/1/04 11:58 am - Plano, TX
There are sevral different mask that you can try. Get the company that supplied you with your machine to bring you some mask.
Most Active