roommate with sleep apnea

msknow
on 5/18/04 4:04 am - Deerfield Beach, FL
I'm having my sleep apnea test tomorrow night, but I'm really worried about my roommate. I know that he has it because he stops breathing several times during the night, aside from the snoring. The concern he has is that he would never be able to wear a CPAP machine because he has such severe allergies. He cannot breath through his nose. He has been treated for 30 years, but there seems to be no sure for his allergies. I'm wondering on his behalf what he can do. Is there a machine that he can use with his mouth instead? Laura
k29acosta
on 5/18/04 8:23 am - roseburg, OR
I was just put in the hospital last night to be fit for a cpap machine and yes they have masks for mouth and nose breathers because some people are mouth breathers in their sleep hope this helps
msknow
on 5/18/04 9:50 pm - Deerfield Beach, FL
Thanks Kimberly! I'll let him know.
(deactivated member)
on 5/22/04 12:31 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I always suffered from horrendous allergies in the spring, and was afraid that I would not be able to use a CPAP. I was also a mouth sleeper (again, allergies). Since I've been using my machine, I breathe through my nose, even when my nose is stuffed up, because the mask I have forces air through my nostrils, through all the gunk. I think that because of this, my allergies have actually gotten much better!
Most Active