update on sleep test results

E D.
on 9/11/04 8:17 am
Well I still have not seen my results. They have also not been sent to my PCP yet. I finally called the sleep center and I was told some of the results. I was only able to sleep a few hours but they determined I have "Upper Repertory Resistance". I have no ideal what that means, but I have to now go to an Ear, Nose Throat doctor. The sleep center said it looked like I need a CPAP, but they won't let me go bac****il I see the ENT. So that where I am.
tmerlinr
on 9/11/04 11:00 am - St. Petersburg, FL
I got my sleep study results today. They said I have mild sleep apnea. I slept a total of 2 hours in 3 different episodes over the corse of 8 hours. Does that seem like a fair diagnosis? They want me to repeat the study after I am post-op and have lost 20% of my weight. The kicker is the study costed $2100. And the cost for the doctor to read it was $700 alone. $2800 for a crappy night of sleep. I should have checked into the Holiday Inn Express! Anyway, I am just glad I don't have to have a c-pap machine. Good luck on finding out your results! Tricia
E D.
on 9/11/04 11:48 am
Well it depends. Did your doctor send you? Did he think you had sleep apnea? Or was it just in case? Meaning did you have any signs of it or did they send you just because of your weight. I went because I have the signs and if they said nothing was wrong with me, I would insist on being retested. The most common symptoms of sleep apnea include: · Loud snoring. · Excessive daytime sleepiness. · Restless sleep. · Difficulty breathing during sleep. · Nighttime choking spells, sweating, and chest pain. · Waking with an unrefreshed feeling after sleep, having problems with memory and concentration, feeling irritable and tired. · Morning headaches. · Have a dry mouth in the morning. · Have problems with concentration or memory · In obese adults, swelling of the legs. · Getting up during the night to urinate (nocturia). I think mild sleep apnea may be just a slowed breathing and not a blockage of the airways. You may want to call and clarify what it is you have. I think I have the blockage. I had surgery on my spine (C5-6) and I think I have a build up of scar tissue or a weakened muscle in my throat I don't understand why they want you to go back after your surgery. I know they want people to go back when they are on the machine to have it checked again. It seems odd if you don't need a machine to go back. I don't know, but do what your doctor wants. I hope you have insurance; so far my bill has been $2200. I don't know how much the ins. will cover yet. Liz
tmerlinr
on 9/11/04 2:37 pm - St. Petersburg, FL
Well, I don't think that he would have ordered the test had I not had signs of it in the first place. I suffer from loud snoring, night sweats, waking up tired after a full nights sleep, and restless sleep. If I would have been able to sleep more, I think that they would have been able to diagnose me with severe sleep apnea. I will speak to my surgeon next week about possibly repeating it, if he thinks it's necessary. I do have insurance, infact, very good insurance. I just thought it was funny that they charged the insurance company $2800 for a lousy nights sleep. Tricia
Dargar63
on 9/12/04 8:33 am - Gainesville, GA
Hi, I just got my CPAP machine on friday but worked all night so got to use it friday. Slept like a baby. I had to have 2 tests one to say I had SLEEP APNEA: 2800, another for the CPAP settings: 2300. And then they said I may have to come back for another one. Thank goodness I didn't. The first one was 8/10. I didn't know what the test actually said til Friday 9/10. I had 48 events an hour of either not breathing or O2 sat going down. Went down to 50 a few times.
Dargar63
on 9/12/04 8:50 am - Gainesville, GA
Sorry, I got it on Thursday. And got the results on Thursday. Those night shifts confuse me for days.
whooshi
on 9/14/04 3:44 am
RNY on 10/05/04 with
HELLO E DECAR, I JUST GOT MY RESULTS BACK YESTERDAY. HE SAID I STOP BREATHING 57 TIMES AN HOUR, MY OXYGENATION WENT DOWN TO 77 (APPARENTLY ANYTHING UNDER 90 IS *BAD*). I HAD NO *REM* SLEEP AT ALL, AND I WAS HAVING PALPITATIONS. SO I WAS CATEGORIZED WITH SEVERE SLEEP APNEA. I WILL GET MY CPAP THIS WEEK. HE ALSO SAID THAT AFTER I LOSE A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF WEIGHT (APPROX. 100 POUNDS) I HAVE TO BE RECHECKED TO SEE IF I STILL NEED THE MACHINE. I NEVER REALIZED JUST HOW SERIOUS THIS WAS. I HAD NO IDEA THAT YOU COULD HAVE A STROKE, HEART ATTACK OR SUDDEN DEATH FROM THIS. BEST WISHES, CARMELLA
Most Active