I just don't know

Dustin S.
on 9/24/04 8:54 pm - salt lake city, UT
I was just wondering, i am 21 years old and i wake up in the night at least 2 times a week not being able to breath, it takes about 15 seconds of terror for my airways to open back up, also my family does have a history of sleep apnea, and my family constantly complain about my snoring( they say it is really loud), i also never feel rested, even after 8-10 hours of sleep, i hate doctors, and just want to know if i could have, probably have, or do have apnea. help me please
cindy_crtty
on 9/24/04 11:16 pm - kegley, WV
Dustin It sounds like you do have severe sleep apnea. You need to go to a doctor that specializes in this and have a sleep study done, I have severe sleep apnea. I did the same thing you did, snoring really loud and not being able to catch my breath. I also always felt so tired and worn out. I went to a doctor and had a sleep study done and I now use a bi-pap machine and it took some time to get used to but it has helped me tremendousy. You really need to get to the doctor as soon as possible because sleep apnea is dangerous and you could actually die from this so please get this taken care of . I am getting ready to have gastric- by-pass surgery and after I lose enough weight I won't need mineanymore keep us posted so we will know how you are doing. Cynthia Crotty
red
on 9/25/04 10:04 am - shepherdsville, KY
Yes,It sounds like you do have it...please go to a Dr. & have it looked into.
James_L.
on 9/25/04 1:01 pm - Warner Robins, GA
Dustin, I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea a little over a month ago and currently use a CPAP for treatment. I'll admit that it's taken a little effort to get used to the CPAP, but the benefits far out-weigh the aggravation. A sleep study is no big deal, just several test leads attached to your head, face and body. No pain-no injections needed. Just lie there, sleep(as best you can) and the technician will monitor you during your study and the results will be reviewed by the doctor and then it will be determined if you do indeed have sleep apnea and if a CPAP(or BiPAP) is needed. Good luck to you. James
Irene M.
on 10/10/04 2:12 pm - Plano, TX
It sounds like you do have severe sleep apnea! I would go to an ENT (ear, nose and throat doctor) and have he send you for a sleep study. If you want to live a nice long happy life and feel rested in the morning do not delay.
Most Active