2 Yrs on CPAP - a few things!

Claudia S.
on 10/9/04 4:39 pm - Carol Stream, IL
There are lots of machines, and masks. If your insurance is paying for this you should be able to have a choice if something is not working for you. Otherwise research. I have the Fisher Pakal, with a water tank, simple small machine. I also like the Breezie headgear for side sleepers. That headgear can break if not careful. Also there should be a place to increase the humidity up or down. I was told to have my machine even with my bed, and it seems to work for me. It does take time to get used to, but boy once you get the hang of it you will not sleep without it again. I keep spare items in the house and take them with on trips too. Drugstore.com has an item called Chin Ups, like a bandaid for those of you who continue to open your mouths, and have a dry problem. I used them for a month or so then stopped. I also kept a water bottle on the nightstand, and got so when I woke with a dry mouth, a sip and I was back to sleep. If anyone has any questions, will try to help. Claudia
vicki in indy
on 10/10/04 11:36 pm - Indianapolis, IN
HI I have been on a BIPAP for several years, like five and CPAP 2 years before that. I have to second Claudia, JUST USE IT, I know it seems odd to most people, but just be persisitent. Put it on every time you lay down. Even for a nap. You may not be able to sleep the whole night with it on, but just keep increasing the time you have it on. If you wake up and you have taken it off, put it back on. Keep wearing it. Soon you wouldn't think of laying down without it. Find a good fit, talk to your provider and make sure they are fitting you for a comfortable and well fitting mask and headgear. There are many to choose from. Don't give up on it. It will truely improve the quality of your life. I have several co morbidties, diabetes, asthma, reflux, and sleep apena. And believe it or not when I think of having WLS it doesn't come to my mind that I will possibly be able to stop using my BIPAP. If I still have to use it after I lose weight I won't be upset. That is how much I have come to depend on it for a decent nights sleep. It would be very strange not to need it. So hang in there. It will become your best buddy Vick in Indy
Most Active