Days - Months C-PAP following surgery

sspev
on 10/16/04 2:25 am - Seattle area (Everett), WA
Hi, I realize that this is an individual question, but I'd like to know of others' experiences. I've been on c-pap for over 5-years. My surgery is 11/2. How long after surgery, or how much weight do I have to lose, before I may be able to give up my machine? (i.e., for the apnea to be cured?) Thanks, Susan
Ginger S.
on 10/17/04 8:29 am - San Mateo, CA
Hi - I'm with Kaiser and they says it is individual. I've seen statistics that say approximately 30% are off Cpap after a few months, another 30% months after that with 80% in a year but 20% are never off. They didn't list the weight you need to lose so I guess those are averages. I'm one of the lucky ones and am off it and feel great. I was diagnosed with it about a year ago but never got used to the C-pap until I forced myself to use it as Kaiser says you have to be on it two months. So about two months I did it before the surgery in August this year. My BMI was 45 and I've lost 34# now. My diabetes is down to one pill vs. 3, BP is normal, stress incontinence is never. So I'm thrilled. Now if I could only stop grazing (still have head hunger). Good luck to you.
TSgt96
on 11/4/04 10:16 pm - Fellsmere, FL
About a month before my surgery, I was told I had obstructive sleep apnea and told to get a c-pap. I was snoring so bad, I would wake myself up constantly! I never got a chance to get the c-pap but found out after my surgery, I wasn't snoring anymore and have been sleeping thru the night without waking up and staying up. I am 4 weeks post-op and have lost 20 lbs. Good luck on your surgery! Betty
Carla S.
on 4/3/05 9:22 am - Madison, IN
Hi Betty! I was just what you felt like after the surgery? Did you have the throat surgery where they removed the uvula? I had that done and was wondering if you could give me any feedback. Thanks so much! Carla
jennie145
on 11/29/04 9:54 pm - Monroeville, PA
I had my surgery 7/28/04 and have lost 89# I have noticed the change in my throat and chest area. It doesn't feel like I collaspe at night, I have tried sleeping without my c-pap machine and my husband said I was quiet!! Also the pressure and the humidifier without heat was too much, I had to get the pressure lowered and add a heater. Also went in for a f/u sleep study and the tech didn't wake me up in the middle of the night to add the mask, he told me I didn't fall in the requirements for the mask. I go today for the results. Hopefully my answer to you is going to be 4 months for me! Jennie
Carla S.
on 4/3/05 8:35 am - Madison, IN
Hi Jennie! You have had surgery for sleep apnea? Did you have the nasal surgery or the uppp surgery of both. I have been having problems with my throat it is getting better but still not all the way healed. I just wanted to ask you some questions. Thank you Carla
Most Active