test problems

karen C.
on 11/13/04 3:28 am - Kennewick, WA
I went in for the 2nd night of my sleep study last night. I was back home at 2am. I couldn't stand the mask. I didn't think I was claustrophobic and I'm not sure that was what it was. . . I wasn't uncomfortable, I was very tired when I got there, but after about 1 hour I became very anxious. We stopped two times and tried again, but I finally gave up. I see my doctor on Wednesday. I"ll see what he recommends. I don't know if I need something to calm me or what. I took a sleeping pill, Ambion, but it didn't help at all. Any suggestions?
Linda Ton
on 11/13/04 10:47 am - Pontiac, MI
i used to have a hard time with the mask too, it took a while to get used to it. i usually put it on really fast, or it takes my breath away. after you get used to it you'll be glad you have it. You know, there are all different kinds of masks, look at cpapman.com , dont forget the www. in the beginning. take care Linda
Bobbi G.
on 12/6/04 9:05 am - Anchorage, AK
Hi Linda~ Are you using a CPAP or still a BiPap? I am curious to know if you have a "ramp" feature on your machine, since you talk about the mask taking your breath away? I have a machine with a humidifier and a ramp feature, which lets me put on the mask, turn it on, the push a button and have the air pressure inside the mask build gradually to 11 (my final setting for pressure). It is really nice because it takes about 20 minutes to build up the pressure using the ramp, and by that point I'm pretty well asleep~ Just curious. Hope you are done dealing with all those pulmonary problems you have in your profile!
Leslie Rodriguez
on 11/19/04 12:20 am - Lorton, VA
Yes, you need to try different masks. I find the Nasal Aire II feels the least like a mask, the least intrusive. The others give me claustrophobia! I am surprised that they didn't try different masks at the sleep lab! You really need to complete the test, to find out what is going on exactly. Ask if there is anything else you can take besides Ambion, to help you relax, and try the other masks. Stick with it!! It's all worth it once you are diagnosed and get treatment.
Saphire
on 11/27/04 12:23 pm - Enterprise, MS
I am about to schedule my sleep apnea test. I saw where ya'll were talking about masks....I am very claustrophobic so this concerns me....I sleep with my mouth open; always have....but, i don't think i've ever stopped breathing during sleep....Do you have to wear these masks just during the test or every night?
Leslie Rodriguez
on 11/28/04 7:44 pm - Lorton, VA
If you are lucky, they will first have you just sleep for half of the night, to diagnose your problem. (They will hook you up to lots of wires, so they can see exactly what is happening with your breathing, brain waves, etc.) Then, if they find that you do have an apnea problem, they will put the mask on for the second half of the night. (I had to go in for two different nights, which is a real hassle!) Yes, they will probably give you a mask. Tell them up front that you really need the 'full face' mask since you keep your mouth open. It will cover your mouth as well as your nostrils. (If you can keep your mouth closed, with or without a 'chin strap', I would recommend the Nasal Aire II instead, since it is less noticeable on your face.) You may have to insist on the full face mask, since they probably don't use it routinely. If it turns out that you have apnea, yes, you will have to use a mask every night -- probably for the rest of your life. I know that it sounds horrible; I thought that I could never do that!! But really, if you have apnea, you will feel SO much better when you use it, that you will get used to it!! Of course it's not ideal ... but it's better than living like a zombie. Until I had the test, I had no idea how much my apnea was affecting how I felt. I just had gotten to used to it that I assumed that everyone felt like the zombie I was all day, every day! (And this doesn't even take into account the life-threatening side affects of apnea, including heart attack and stroke!) Leslie R.
Saphire
on 11/29/04 10:41 am - Enterprise, MS
WOW!! I emailed you and told you all this Leslie but just in case, i wanted to tell you here too...Thanks for the info!!! Maybe i do have apnea; cause i know all about that "zombie" stuff...I get up every morning feeling as if i'm more tired than when i went to bed!! If I get 5 hours of sleep a night (and even that is not a straight five hours) then i am doing good...I just don't sleep......You have given me hope!!! Thanks again for the help...I think now i can even handle the mask!!! lol
Mary Jo
on 12/3/04 8:34 am - Oakdale, MN
Oh, oh!! See my post of a few minutes ago.....can't believe that now I'm reading your message! They're going to give me Ambian, as well and I am hoping that this time, I am able to relax a little more. My biggest problem is all that paraphanalia they have you hooked up to....plus the room is too quiet! I always have a fan going which produces some white noise at home. Maybe I'll have to bring that along - as well as my own pillow! One suggestion I have for you is to ask your provider about the new ResMed "Nasal Pillow" mask....it's on their website at resmed.com, so you can look at it. It is MUCH less confining and the way you position the hose seems to make it easier to turn over, etc. Best of luck, Karen! I think I'm going to need it, too - personally, I think the problem is MORE than just the mask.....at least for me. It's that my sense of "orderliness" has become screwed up by having to have a stupid machine at my bedside, with a big old mask and hose. It makes my nice, pleasant bedroom look like a hospital room - hey, pass the Vicks Vap-o-rub and one apnea machine, please..........hold the hose, however! LOL!!
Most Active