sleep apnea/low oxygen and WLS

justaboutkrazy
on 12/3/04 2:33 pm - Pensacola, FL
I have been researching WLS for years and had decided to have it, but I have severe sleep apnea and Ive tried for years to wear the cpap and just cant do it. Because of this my pulmonologist doesnt want me to have surgery of ANY type. He says I will have complications breathing after anesthesia. But I recently went to my friends appt. with the doctor doing her WlS and when I told him this he said they put people with SA asleep with a differant anesthesia. Does anyone here know? HAve you sucessfully had surgery despite severe sleep apnea? Oh... by the way...the pulmonologist says my oxygen drops to 70 something percent when I sleep. This has already caused my heart to enlarge and I have chest pains all the time altho my docs say my heart function is normal.
Maria B.
on 12/5/04 6:07 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I have severve sleep apena also. I had my wls this passed Monday the 29th. I'm home doing very well. I had to get a special clearance from my pulmonologist, they do use different anesthesia and we are specially monitored in recovery. I didn't have any problems other then being extremly tired. hope all goes well for you..........Maria
Most Active