what to expect?

Rissa32
on 12/12/04 11:05 pm - Corning, NY
I'm scheduled for my sleep study on Wed. 12/15/04. I'm curious what is concidered a good outcome in this situation? I mean is the need for CPAP good as far a insurance is concerned...or...will that be of concern during submitting to insurance? I hope this makes sense I'm just not sure what to hope for from this. Also if you have any info on what to expect from the test itself I would appreciate it. Thanks for the info. Clarissa
Shelly LaChance
on 12/13/04 2:15 am - Chester, IL
I have not had wls yet but from what I here if you have sleep apena it may help.. I hope so I do love my cpap LOL good luck ...Shelly
Loretta D.
on 12/14/04 5:20 am - Augusta, GA
Sleep Apnea would be a good thing to help with the insurance, but I'm not sure if it alone would be good enough. I have had the test three times. It's not too bad. They hook up LOTS of wires to your head and face and to a few parts of yout body to monitor during your sleep. My insurance required that I have part one during the first visit. The first visit determines how often you stop breathing and wheather its from brain activity (called central) or from obstrutive causes. Some people have both. They also monitor to see if you get enough oxygen during your sleep. That is with a pulse ox on the end of your finger. If you are determined to have sleep apnea then part two of the test determines how much pressure is need to keep the airway open. The thing I liked least was the glue they use to hold the wires to my scalp. It smelled. Sleep Apnea is serious. If you need it and don't use your CPAP equipment you could die in your sleep and over time it will damage your heart. Let's hope you have some other reasons other that sleep apnea to qualify for the WLS. Loretta
G. Daddy
on 12/19/04 8:00 am - San Gabriel, CA
Hi Clarissa - how did your sleep study go? It's good because it's a another thing that "can" be fixed by the weight loss of the WLS. Mine was with kaiser and they sent me home with a box with all the bands and wires and a little computer... the next day they said it was 10grand worth of equipment... I might not have take it home if I knew that! I had to take a cpap home to find out what my level was... it ended up being 11 - all I know is that when I finally got my cpap I couldn't believe that I would be able to sleep with that much air pressure going in my nose... of course I adjusted to it using the ramp feature where it starts off at a much lower level and then adjust's to your prescription in like 15-20 minutes. I'm still adjusting to my machine but do notice a difference in my not dozing off during the after lunch classes - I'm a high school teacher. Also, I believe that the apnea is part of why I got my approval... I guess that means it's a good thing! Good luck! gene
Most Active