Words of Encouragement

Mike C.
on 12/29/04 10:41 pm - Upstate, NY
Hi All - I just wanted to give my fellow sleep apnea suffers a little encouragement and to celebrate a victory on my part. I have been using a C-Pap for over five years. When first tested I showed 113 "events" within a 90 minute timeframe and was immediately put on the C-Pap. After struggling for several months with the mask, i.e, taking it off in the night, not be able to fall asleep withit on, etc., my doctor said that if I could not get used to it I may have to have a trach and un-cap it at night to breath. Needless to say I made a renewed effort and used it for nearly five years. It got so I couldn't sleep without it's comforting white noise! I had gastric bypass surgery on Friday the 13th, June 2003. I started at nearly 350 and now maintain at about 183. In November I had my third sleep study and finally got the official results. I had 0 "events" the entire night. Woohooo. Now my problem is sleeping without the noise but I'm getting better at it. Previously I was denied life insurance in a large part (pun intended) because of my weight, asthma, and sleep apnea. I can now reapply.. It hasn't always been easy and believe me the struggle isn't over but I'm taking the wins where I can and cutting my losses. Best wishes for health and happiness to all.
Shelly LaChance
on 12/30/04 12:05 am - Chester, IL
What a great story.. that is just great.Glad to here that your done with that c-pap ..Good luck to you on your weightloss..great jobb..shelly
slickgt
on 1/1/05 2:00 pm - Bolingbrook, IL
Mike, I don't get my cpap until next Tuesday but I'm looking forward to it for better rest. Try sleeping with a fan on. I've been doing that for years for the white noise. You don't even have to point it at you if you don't want the breeze. Ed
Mary Jo
on 1/2/05 12:12 pm - Oakdale, MN
Mike, thanks for that story! I just had my second sleep study last Wednesday night and it confirmed that I have "moderate" sleep apnea. I've had trouble using the machine because the first test wasn't conclusive....I couldn't sleep, because I was too anxious. In the time they were able to measure (approximately 1 hour), the doctor was convinced I did have apnea, so I went home with the machine. After last Wednesday, there's no doubt. I really have no choice but to use it. However....like you, I am also a candidate for gastric bypass and am hoping the apnea wil disappear after I lose enough weight. I have a question for you.....when you had your surgery, did you have to bring your CPAP machine to the hospital...and did they make you use it? Was there anything special the anesthesiologist did because of the apnea? I just want to be prepared ahead of time! MJ (MN). (Thanks for any helpful advice you can give me!)
Mike C.
on 1/2/05 8:43 pm - Upstate, NY
Hi MJE - I was required to take the cpap to surgery and used it at night in the hospital. The anesthesiologist will take care of his/her part during surgery and they should question you regarding the sleep apnea in the interview prior to surgery. If they don't make sure you bring it up. Your blood oxygen level will be monitored during and after surgery and the respiratory techs should make regular visits to check on you. You will be given a device (the name escapes me now) to sue that will haelp keep your lungs clear. Make sure you use it regularly. I had people tell me that the hospital they were at didn't stress the use of the device but it is imperative for someone like us who needs it. Best of wishes for health and happiness. If you have any additional questions that I can give you my experience on please let me know. I don't have all the answers but I can at least give you what happened with me. Mike
Mary Jo
on 1/3/05 1:22 am - Oakdale, MN
Thanks, Mike! That's sort of what I thought....I'd need to bring the machine along - darn!! It certainly is motivation to lose the excess pounds, knowing that I might someday sleep unencumbered again! You have done EXTREMELY well. By the way....I agree about using a fan for "white noise". I've had a Vornado fan going in my room 24-7 for about 3 years. It doesn't blow directly on me, but it does move the air and helps me sleep. Take care! MJ
Most Active