Apnea changes after WLS?

dersprokkett
on 1/2/06 8:31 pm - Toledo, OH
I had surgery three weeks ago. I was diagnosed with apnea in June. At the time, I weighed about 80 pounds more than I do right now (lost 45 before surgery and 35 after). Anyway, for the last two nights, I've had the apnea symptoms despite using my machine. The headaches are so bad they make me want to throw up. It's agony. I use the nasal pillow. If my pillow is older, could that be the problem? Also, I do need a new filter. I'm going to try and get these things resolved today, but wanted to know if I was covering all my bases. Three weeks out, I really can't go without sleep. I'll probably call my pulmonologist, too, just to be safe. I hate feeling this way. I also have horrible nightmares from the lack of oxygen (generally, about being killed violently). Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
epbauk
on 1/20/06 8:11 pm - Salisbury, NC
Hi Rebecca I just read you are having trouble with the cpap situation. I was diagnosed 2 years ago and after much trial and error sleep pretty well. (I am planning lap-band surgery-260 lbs) I am a freak about my sleeping ritual(ask my hubby). Ive tried several masks but my favorite is the mirage that just fits over the nose. It has a very soft part that touches your face but forms a seal that will move but keeps from leaking. I also use a chin-strap(macdaddy as the lady at the home health store calls it) It is wide and I dont pull it too tight. I have alot of nasal congestion so just before I get inbed I blow my nose, take nyquil and ambien cr(ambien is a must and the new time release is a godsend) I have a white sound machine that I play all night in addition to running a fan by my side of the bed. I read something very light(no surgery stuff) with very low light for about 15 minutes and try not to get too awake putting on my mask and strap. I also sleep with a pillow wedge to elevate my head and shoulders slightly. I have an extention on the tube which helps if you move around. O and I take mirapex for restless leg syndrome. I hope one of these ideas helps. I have felt like a new person. One of my main goals with the surgery is to rid myself of sleep apnea. Also I am worried about the surgery and the fact they dont like to use the cpap during it-how was that for you. Hope some ideas help Good luck Elizabeth
sbruschansky
on 1/23/06 12:41 pm - Rockland County, NY
I had sleep apnea also. I started wearing a mask a month before the surgery. It kept me up at night. It took a long while to get use to it, but you will. I tried the nasal (two holes) mask but it was to much pressure to take and was also irritating. I also tried the fnacy activa..no good. I likef\d the plain resperonics (maker) mask its called "______light" (i forget the name) I can't remember the name, but it has a blue gel around the nose peice and this mask was the most comfortable for me. I sleep on my stomach so it took a while to gwt used to. I had to learn to sleep on my side or back. I am happy to say that after 7 moths after surgery and 120 pounds down. I don't have sleep apnea anymore and no longer use a cpap. I wish you the best.
LadyPI
on 5/1/06 2:43 pm - Jackson, TN
YES, a worn-out nasal pillow is more flexible and more likely to leak air than a new pillow. Your Dr. can write a prescription for CPAP supplies and you can get your new pillows and filters, -- anything you need from the medical supply store. I just got new pillows and they made a big difference. Flimsy pillows are the pitts. Hope this helps!
Most Active