How much time did you need off of school?

cindy platt
on 5/19/05 5:02 am - Stockton, IL
Hello Everyone: I am sure all of you are as busy as I am with all the end of the year stuff at school and looking forward to the summer. I have a dilemma. My insurance is requiring me to have 12 mo of documented weight loss failure for approval. I actually have this and am appealing it, however it may take some time and I might not have the WLS during the summer as I have hoped and prayed for. Did any of you have this surgery during the school year and if so how long did it take you to return to work? I teach HS Biology, full-time. I am worried. I don't want to leave my school in a bind with me being gone.....and I hope there will be no complications. I have tried so hard to get Summer approval, but BCBS/IL is HARD to work with. I keep telling myself I have got to do what I have got to do and the school and kids will be FINE without me, but I feel very guilty. Thank-you, Cindy
judyanne
on 5/21/05 2:34 am - Duarte, CA
Cindy, Sure hope you will get your wish for a summer surgery! My surgery was April 27th. I had an open RNY. I teach full time also - junior high. My surgeon's letter to my principal said to expect me to be off 4-6 weeks. My principal told me to take my time and come back when I felt like it. (He does NOT know what kind of surgery I had. Most of the people and students think I had gallbladder surgery. This was my choice as I did not feel that my surgery was anyone's business.) After two weeks at home I started going stir-crazy. I am returning next Monday, May 23. This is just short of four weeks. I certainly could have returned last week. I also thought about waiting 'til June to return. This is because "things" are happening at school with discipline, drugs, etc. I felt I didn't need the added stress. However, staying home everyday is getting boring and I'm spending too much money. Before I left for surgery, I lined up a long-term sub. She came in a few days to different periods to observe my routine and meet some of the kids. I was lucky that most of the kids already knew and respected her. This was a great comfort to me. Everytime I call school I find that she is doing great. If you end up having surgery during the school year, find a good sub who is willing to stay the entire time you are out. I also had all lessons and papers run off for at least 5 weeks. Judy
Cuddlernie
on 5/22/05 9:43 pm - Haysville, KS
Cindy, I don't see what surgery you're having. I had lap band surgery last May 17th (2004) and took off the last two weeks of school. However, I had my surgery on Monday and met my class of 2nd graders at the park that Friday for about an hour and then went to school for another hour or so! So then I had the whole next week off, but I was feeling pretty good, but got tired easily. I went for the last 1/2 day of school on Thursday and then stayed for the 1/2 day teacher luncheon and workday. Lap band recovery is a lot quicker than the other surgeries, though. I've heard most RNYers say between 4-6 weeks. ERyn 420/330/under 200
kenword
on 6/2/05 11:17 am - Mountains of, NC
Cindy, I had my surgery on 11/23/04 and was back to work on 12/1/04. I am a special ed teacher and had a choice on what goes on in my class. So if you can take it easy then you can go back as soon as you feel better as long as your doctor agrees. To be honest with you I started back to work on the Monday after my sugery doing after school. WE all have different healing times and different doctors. I pray that you have a chance to have the sugery in the summer though!
Diane W.
on 6/15/05 2:48 pm - Los Banos, CA
I told them 4 weeks, but felt great at 2 weeks, so went back at 3 weeks. I teach special ed. and have a co-worker in class who had the surgery two years ago, so I knew I would have her support. I was afraid I might have bad days and need to go home, but no, I haven't missed a day. I am so glad I went ahead with it when I did. I couldn't wait for summer. Now I am teaching summer school. Financially this was a better choice cause I could use my sick leave for the surgery and still work extended year. My surgery was Apr. 6.
swdouglas
on 7/17/05 4:56 am - Lawrence, PA
Hi there Thank you all for this information. I teach at an all year charter school. I love it!!! I just start to think the trimester will never end and the kids are driving me insane and preseto--break time. We are off in Dec. April and August. The only time the kids have a problem with the schedule is in July. They are in school and the home boys are on the stoop. I follow my students for 4 years so I had them last year as Freshman, now ans Sophamores next year Juniors etc. Then back to 9th. Yeck. I was wondering if I could schedule sugery in one of my months off. Looks like I can squeek it in. But I have a long time until then. Am just starting so here we go. Sarah
Most Active
Recent Topics
Music teachers with VSG
Beautenoir · 0 replies · 160 views
Need some snack advice
Judy M. · 1 replies · 446 views
Need A Change Of Pace
Sis'ta "T" Bone · 0 replies · 335 views
can i miss the last day?
krmlk26 · 4 replies · 356 views
Started back Monday
shoop727 · 1 replies · 357 views