How much time will I need?

carjacks
on 7/23/05 2:10 pm - Theodore, AL
Hi. I just heard from my insurance on Friday that I got approved for surgery and that my approval letter will be mailed out to me and my surgeon. I started the process in May thinking that I would have surgery over the summer. It took longer than expected to get approval however, and I am now not sure what to do. I will be beginning a job at a charter school in about 3 weeks and will be teaching 2nd grade. The nurse said that I should be able to return to work in 2 weeks with lap RNY, but I don't know if I should wait until December and take the last week off before Winter Break, or go ahead and do the surgery asap. My insurance advised me to do the surgery before the end of the year just in case my policy should change in November. Any suggestions? Carliss
tisfemin
on 7/24/05 4:40 am - Gadsden, AL
Hi Carliss, It sounds like you are in a tough position right now. I guess just wait right now until your surgeon gets the letter and calls you to set up a date. I'd say between now and then you should do lots of soul searching and praying, if you pray. I started my paper work for approval in March so I could have my surgery over the summer. I had my surgery 2 days before the end of the school year last year and had the summer to recover. I also have a friend who teaches and she had the surgery over Christmas break and had no trouble what-so-ever. Good luck to you. It's a wonderful journey. Christie
sunkissed kid
on 7/25/05 1:26 am - Riverside, ca
I had surgery on a Wednesday and felt good enough to go back to work the following Monday! Really, it all depends on the individual. Good luck!
JackieBel
on 7/27/05 1:40 am - McAllen, TX
Thanks for posting. I'm in the same boat. My insurance packet was faxed over to Unicare 2 days ago on Monday so I'm waiting for approval. Kiddos return on Aug 22, I'm supposed to go back Aug 15 for inservice week. If I could just get approval and have surgery within the next 2 weeks I think I can miss the inservice week, and start school the 1st day of school for the kiddos. Otherwise, I too will wait until the weeks between Thanksgiving & Christmas. The Board is changing insurance effective Jan 1 and I'm afraid with all the cost cutting (new superintendent) they'll cut the WLS benefit. I already know of 5 teachers in the district who had WLS last year. I'm afraid to schedule during Christmas break b/c something could happen and it be pushed into Jan. and then no insurance coverage. AHH! I'm sitting her contemplating whether to call the insurance company precert dept. I'm afraid if I bug them they'll hold off on the decision, but if I don't maybe they'll drag their feet anyway. Jackie B.
JackieBel
on 8/9/05 2:54 pm - McAllen, TX
I could have written this post. I just found out yesterday that I was approved for WLS. Well, I thought that I'd have the surgery this summer as well. School starts on the 22nd, so I thought since I've missed having it in the summer, I'd wait until holiday break. Well guess what, our district is getting new insurance that takes effect Sept. 1st, and WLS is a written exclusion. Most school districts have policies that are on an academic year, not a calendar year. Well, I am now scheduled to have surgery the first day of school. Tomorrow I'm going to talk to my principal and go to central office to fill out the necessary forms. If I were you I would definitely call the district insurance clerk and verify that the policy is on a calendar year. Many have told me that I'll be out about 2 weeks unless I have a complication. I hope that that's all b/c I hate having a substitute. Good luck to you. Jackie B.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Music teachers with VSG
Beautenoir · 0 replies · 160 views
Need some snack advice
Judy M. · 1 replies · 446 views
Need A Change Of Pace
Sis'ta "T" Bone · 0 replies · 334 views
can i miss the last day?
krmlk26 · 4 replies · 356 views
Started back Monday
shoop727 · 1 replies · 356 views