Recent Posts

Beautenoir
on 3/14/15 12:19 am - Grand Prairie , TX
Topic: Music teachers with VSG

Hi,

I teach elementary music, and I'm supposed to heave my surgery at the end of this month. I plan on going back to work after 9 days. Did you find going back to work hard after this time? Did any of you have a music program 2 weeks after returning? My doctors staff said most of their patients return to work within one week.

JackieBel
on 7/11/07 1:06 pm - McAllen, TX
Topic: RE: Need some snack advice
I rarely get on the Teachers Board b/c it has so little traffic. I hope you got replies. I eat breakfast around 7:00 AM, but I'm starving around 10:00 AM. I snack on a Pure Protein bar (I'm a chocoholic), a slice of sandwich meat wrapped around a cheese stick (lowfat both), beef jerkey, SF oatmeal. I'm not much of a protein drink drinker so I put Any Whey protein powder in soups, coffee, etc. I do great following a diet in the school year. It's summer and holidays that do me in. JackieBel
Judy M.
on 1/11/07 7:35 pm - Hudson Valley, NY
Topic: Need some snack advice
Hi Teachers, I have a non-typical story. My weight did not melt away as others I've read about and after only 6 months out, I find I'm hungry every couple of hours. Dense foods still don't sit well with me, and the ones that go down the easiest are the soft carbs we need to stay away from. Our school cafeteria food is absolutely atrocious. Can those of you who have a meal/snack plan you feel is successful give me some ideas about what you eat during the day, especially with regard to those snacks that keep you satisfied and will not sabotage weight loss? Thanks a lot, Judy
Sis'ta "T" Bone
on 10/16/06 5:34 am - Miami, FL
Topic: Need A Change Of Pace
I am stuck in a classroom for the entire day with little or no time to regroup. I fee like the walls are closing in on me. After 15 years of teaching students with Learning Disabilities, I am SOOOO ready for a change! I have several areas of certification - including reading and Ed. Leadership - yet I feel like I'm going no where. I feel guilty about changing course midstream (middle of the school year) yet I'm no longer getting much pleasure from teaching. To make matters worst, I've been given two classes with 29 students each. I've compained to administration for eight weeks, but to no avail. My friend said she could put in a good word for me at another school (a position without classroom responsiblities), but I'm concerned about being out for WLS (have my 2nd opinion done the end of the week - last step before approval). What's a poor woman to do? Thanks for allowing me to vent.
MissCrystal
on 8/1/06 2:06 am - Brea, CA
Topic: RE: Worried about going back to school
I feel the same exact way. I start school on Aug 21. I had my surgery July 19th and right now, I'm nowhere near the energy level required to handle my high schoolers. I'm hoping that I'll be okay at the 1 month mark.
indigo29605
on 7/26/06 9:55 am - Simpsonville, SC
Topic: RE: Worried about going back to school
I went back after two weeks. I was extremely tired and wished I had waited at least another 3 weeks. I teach first grade. My energy level got better after the first two months.
krmlk26
on 5/23/06 11:52 am - close to louisville, KY
Topic: RE: can i miss the last day?
UPDATE: I just ended up cancelling the appt. on the 30th,since that doc doesn't do lap bands... i am taking a 1/2 day on this thurs. to go see a doc in the same practice that DOES do lap bands! thanks for all your help! and only 3 days of school left this year! schools out, schools out, teacher let the monkeys out................. karly
Robyn N.
on 5/20/06 12:52 am - Tustin, CA
Karly, It all depends on your relationship with your site adminstrator and your district policies. My surgury is scheduled for the last day of school (graduation day). So I had a talk with my principal, and explained how my surgeon was taking a 3 week hiatus that would have delayed my surgury by that amount, along with delaying my recovery over the summer. Given how I want to be 100% when I return this fall and maximize my recovery period prior to this, he was cool with it! Robyn Math Teacher - Continuation HS Teacher!
krmlk26
on 5/16/06 11:42 pm - close to louisville, KY
Thanks Jackie! I actually just told my principal that I had to be out for doc appointment and I would put in writing how I would make up the 6hrs. of records day! She is very understanding! Thank Goodness, b/c I have heard not all principals are like her! I am a lucky girl! thanks again, karly
JackieBel
on 5/16/06 11:04 am - McAllen, TX
You might check with you district's personnel dept on the rules. Call your surgeon and see if they can move you to the end of the day and move someone else up to your spot. Good luck! And, yes I know exactly what it's like to wait. I was stressed to get my surgery done within a couple of months b/c the district's insurance was changing Sept 1. I ended up having WLS the first day of school, Aug 22, and was back in class in 2 weeks. Jackie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Music teachers with VSG
Beautenoir · 0 replies · 160 views
Need some snack advice
Judy M. · 1 replies · 446 views
Need A Change Of Pace
Sis'ta "T" Bone · 0 replies · 335 views
can i miss the last day?
krmlk26 · 4 replies · 356 views
Started back Monday
shoop727 · 1 replies · 357 views